Ultra Defragmenter

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by markymoo, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

http://ultradefrag.sourceforge.net/

2. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Sounds like a similar program to jkdefrag.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I have to take some exception to that. Microsoft has it's own share of problems, especially where it concerns some of it's internal programs.

But, nice freebie nonetheless.

Can it also defrag the MFT or is that being considered in a later release? I don't think even $M does that.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I dont know if it defragments the MFT but it does have a boot defrag.

5. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

I thought that the Windows defragger was safe enough even to be used with a snapshot/archiver,like FDISR.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Just pointing out other third party defrags make better use of defragging and many of those don't rely at all on Microsoft's Defrag API.

Is it safe? Of course, in the general sense, but just like Windows 98 or Millenium, XP like those predecessors still suffer from unexpected and definitely INCOMPLETE operations from many of their internal components. I'm sure everyone is experienced something similar at one point or another. It was claimed XP's explorer would be better crash proof, and is, but still crashes on occasion, not as fatally, but not exactly as efficient as we been lead to believe.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i thought even big names such as diskeeper and perfectdisk used the windows defrag api to ensure safe defragging?
    link
    the link is a support article from raxco telling you that perfectdisk does use the bultiin windows defrag api for safe defragging.
    lodore

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  8. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Such as? The only one I can think of is Speed Disk by Symantec and even that has switched over to MS API in its most recent incarnation.

Edit: This thing is painfully slow in analyzing the disk. I'll pass.

9. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

In fact too slow. In analysing. So if you want to defrag... You need wait a lot...

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

For starters theres Ultimate Defrag (I own one) and Diskeeper, and the much heralded PerfectDisk, sorry these are all shareware with higher than average IMO costs involved, but they can boost disk perfomance as well as prolong the life of any hard drive, no exagerration.

11. controler

controler Guest

Didn't Xp use Diskeepers cut rate version?

They sure never use their own.

12. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

So microsoft did not even see the need for defragmenting?

13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

EASTER - both PerfectDisk and Diskeeper use Microsoft's API when moving files.

Espresso was asking for defragmenters that dont use it.

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I stand corrected then, thanks. Theres just way too much information for one man to get a handle one where concerns microsofts pillowcase.

ULTIMATE DEFRAG does on the otherhand use it's own and it's very, very efficient at what it does.

15. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I don't think so. Almost all (if not all) defraggers use the Microsoft API to move files when defragging. It isn't related in any way with efficiency. Using the Microsoft APIs means that the chances of corrupting or deleting a file are practicaly negligible.
    What differences one defragger from another are the file placement algorithms, which are indeed proprietary.

16. controler

controler Guest

I guess what I was trying to say was that MS used Diskeepers cut down program even if Diskeeper uses MS API.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.