UltimateDefrag 1.72 - Freeware Now!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by PaulBB, May 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

UltimateDefrag is revolutionary defrag software that not only lets you defrag, but also considers a more important phenomenon, and that is, the placement of files and folders on your hard drive. With UltimateDefrag you can place the files you want the best performance from onto the faster areas of your hard drive and also get all of your unused data right out of the way and repositioned onto the slower areas of your hard drive in order to make way for the data that you want to place in the “hot” sections of your hard drive where performance is greatest.

Source:
    http://freewaregeeks.com/UltimateDefrag_Free.html

Download:
    http://www.disktrix.com/downloads/UltimateDefragFREEPublicDomainEditionSetup.exe

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Don't know how they do it or why but i have successfully used this paid version before and it done a great job. One thing about it, some free give aways like this from vendors have bugs, but i never experienced any. If anything the file placement wheel might not be true, but rest assured it still set placements in the order you desiginated as far as i was able to tell.

Good way to win more support IMO.

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Defragging is just defragging,and here UD is like any other defragger.
    IMO UD is more a file placement utility,and here is where UD excel,making the layout of your disk the way you like.

IMO this is a safer and better way then cutting services and stuff.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

How True Huupi

Defragging simply is the procedure of regrouping again together, to coin an anology of a puzzle as an example, of keeping a file all in one single area or sector of the disk instead of leaving it distributed in various distances all over the platter and working the energy of the heads more & more in order to identify then make them perform as a single file again. The concern enters in searching out all the pieces to correctly make use of them again.

I cut only basic services like Messenger, Remote Registry and such to free up some system energy for more useful tasks and with those out of the way and a good placement defrag, the HD seems to appreciate that effort with performance gains.

EASTER

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It hangs on my system (Vista Ultimate SP1) CPU at 40-50% and nothing seems to happen, had to uninstall. It's a pity as I wanted to compare it to PerfectDisk 2008 and JkDefrag.

6. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Same here. Too bad...
    Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1

EDIT: D'OH! You have to run it as admin.

So, I reckon this is better than JKDefrag? Should I replace it with this or it isn't better/run both of them?

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

PaulBB, thanks for the tip.

I will try it, when I have lots of time.
    If it hangs, I keep it hanging until it is dead and then I remove the body during reboot. :)

8. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

As I said, if you have Vista, you'll have to run it as admin.

9. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I guess you will fall in love with it,its a endless fildle/configure utility,i guess in no time your an authority on it and your posts will grow out of the ordinary.LOL :D :D

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

XP Pro SP2. I can also confirm this free release experiences serious hang problems, i have to manually reset my PC to start over again, but at least i get some what appears to be positive file placements if thats any consolation.

I'm sticking with the newest 2008, it works much better without this issue. I guess you get what you pay for right?

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      157 KB
      Views:
  11. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

No doubt you're All up to Something Shady :cautious: with this Hanging Business, I ran it 5 times yesterday,and it didn't hang once. Dont forget this is the exact version that was for sale some months ago, nothings been Altered or Anything to that degree, that it would now Hang your system. A sugestion would be to allow your system to clear the dll files on exit/shutdown :shifty:

12. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I used the consolidation feature and it did speed up the partition.

When I turned on Returnil I noticed that It took firefox about for to five times longer to load, but once it did it was quick loading pages.

The other applications on the partition under Returnil were also called up very quickly .

Over all I am impressed with this freeware. It plays well with Returnil and SandboxIE run together which is my primary concern when testing this "consolidation feature".

The graphic shows the post consolidation partition

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  13. cortez

cortez Registered Member

This graphic show what it looks like with Windows Defrag tool. (I could not get it to add a graphic in edit mode, so I posted again). It definitely is not what I expected it to look like in the re consolidation representation.

Attached Files:

14. cet

cet Registered Member

I want to install and use this program.But does it have a service running in the background like diskeeper.If yes I will not use it.
    And did anyone try it on SP3.I have XP SP3 I would like to learn if there is an incompatibility.
    And does it replace the windows defrag or is it a standalone program.
    Thanks in advance.

15. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Cet

No service is present when not in use and it works with SP3 final.

Windows Disk Defrag is not affected.

The question is whether its worth all the trouble of fiddling,as it can be excrutiatingly slow in some configurations,to the extent that it may well appear to be hung.

Dont know how it would perform with your small RAM

EDIT : re the different modes-courtesy Softpedia

16. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Anyone? :)
    Should I just keep JKDefrag and ignore this one?

17. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I would stick with JkDefrag since its free and you can get updates for it.

Also if JkDefrag works for you then theres no reason to switch.

18. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Yeah, I was thinking just that. Thanks!

19. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Aside from the GUI, can anyone point the differences with this one compared to the latest version?

20. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Just wanted to pop in and say it hasn't hung for me either, of course that could very well depend on what other software is installed and running. Software is weird like that, lol.

21. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

"Faster Defrag Engine"
    "High Performance File Placement In Just Minutes"
    "More File Placement Options"
    "More File Selection Options"
    "Many More Under The Hood Improvements"

Just copied from the DiskTrix website :p

22. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

In other words, a few more check-boxes and a bigger, more colorful ball/circle to look at while it performs the same function its now free predecessor does ;)

23. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Enlightened! Thank you very much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.