Ultimate firewalls

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by chaos16, Mar 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

I have been using zonealarm for 2 years. and quite happy with it but loads of sites including this one says that it doesn't give u good protection compared to others.

I just want to know which firewalls are better and wat are the advantages that they have.

Sygate-latest
    Agntium-latest
    kerio- latest
    Tiny-latest

Which of these firewall are better and whyo_O
    Coz i am thinking of changing from zonealarm to one of theseo_O?
    Which one blocks viruses, trojans, worms etc... bettero_O

i have a router and a build in hardware firewall in it.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Why don't you try them Chaos? trial them and give us your ideas, probably you will get more info at that time then asking us what we think is the best...

that could be interesting for all of us and shouldn't lead to any discussions...

imho zonealarm is up to the job and should give you plenty of protection, easy to configure and a lot of users here that can give you advice on how to set it up correctly.

inf.

3. chaos16

i just want to know the advantages of each of them

4. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Most of the complaints about ZA around here have been about code bloat, not protection.

There are a lot of good ones that are either free or available to trial. See which ones you are able to use. Some of the good ones can be quite an IQ test to set up and will outright cause many to give up. For added protection get a NAT.

By the way, of the four you listed, they are all good, except for the most recent verson of Kerio, which has buggy logging. I have also seen some remarks that Sygate has a vunerability with proxies including outbound eMail virus scanning, but you would have to research that. Angitum is a favorite of some of the guru's around here. Tiny has the most difficult interface.

5. chaos16

6. Infinity

very much the truth :)

That is how I feel/heard it too Diver :)

anyway: unless you are quite familiar with sandboxing, creating rules then Tiny is no offer for you UNLESS (again...:)) you want to best of the best, it has a built in processguard (spyware protection, protection against dll/code injection, registry protection,...) I have tried Tiny numerous times and I just looked at their forum it seems that the latest build (tpf2005) is the one a lot of users where waiting for. But the release is only a day old so I would wait if I were you.

Kerio: the double logging is solved imho, I thought I saw it on their forums that a lot of users who were having complaints...they don't have it anymore and I read some posts stating it was solved. I didn't tried it cause I am a Outpost user. why Outpost?
    for the newbie it is very easy (and still very well protected) and after a while when you get the feeling and you have the time and more knowledge, you can start playing and making rules. Cause they have an excellent Forum. and they have a plugin that is one of the main reasons I am still using it: Blockpost.

Sygate still suffers (still it is designed like that :D ) from the local host loopback (127.0.0.1).

if you want a recent test done by our own Gkweb regarding the outbond blocking you can find it here:

http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.htm

this has nothing to do however how good a firewall is or not. just the capacities on blocking unsolicited (or solicited if you will :))outgoing traffic.

you see Zonealarm isn't doing that bad, regarding the bloat code :) well...true but the protection will suffer for a lot of persons. personally I love their open process feature, one of the things I find to be great about ZA.

the rest is up to you, they all have their pros and cons at the end :D

sorry ... but tell us what you will try and why you don't like it, I am sure everyone will be glad to help you out.

Inf.

7. chaos16

i have tried sygate and for me it was not that good. It didn't have so many features compared to others.

Kerio i have not tried.
    Tiny i have not tried.
    Outpost i have tried but i found it difficult to many settings to many optionso_O

Now u say that the best firewalls for protection is tiny righto_O??
    It blocks all types of threats better than ZA, Kerio, Outpost and sygateo_O

I think wat is good about outpost is that it has pluginso_O

I just want to know which one has the best protection?

8. Infinity

Tiny isn't solely a firewall, Tiny more then just a firewall and to configure that all, you need to be experienced with a lot of stuff or you should take your time.
    If you put Tiny in the hands of somebody who don't know what he does, or cannot find the time to learn it properly then Tiny will not give that user protection at all and probably the user will end up formatting his C drive...it is powerfull but you need time to understand it and to configure it.

look at it like this: you need time to learn zonealarm right? you need time to learn a registry protection program like RegRun. You need time to configure your windows operating system. That time you will need to configure Tiny. but once you set it up, you have a lot of protection. I can give you that.
    if it is the best thing FOR YOU? I don't know. it all depends on what you want to know and how much effort you want to put into such a firewall/sandbox/...

not at all. those are just the things I like a lot. the popup blocker, the ip blocker, the ads blocker,...just gives me extra protection.
    for me Outpost was practically ready out of the box. later on I begin to learn to setup rules (Thanx Paranoid2000 :D ) and tighten up the firewall.
    but honestly it was as easy as Zonealarm ;)

What do you need?

If I understand your first question you want a firewall that stops virusses and worms? imho that is not good. an all in one firewall is not the best thing you can do. it is easy and convenient maybe but I prefer a separate av and fw. a separate antispyware program and antitrojan program.

that is in my view a layered defense. cause if the all in one program fails chances are the whole program fails and you end up with nothing and unprotected.

9. chaos16

I just want a firewall not a internet security.

i am using KAV antivirus 5.0.20 pro, adaware se, spybot-search & destroy, spywareblaster, spyware guard, Microsoft antispyware, ewido, a squared antitrojan. and zonealarm for now.

Now all in all which one is better outpost or zonealarm wat are the advantages of zonealarm and wat are the advantage of outpost. Which one has more featureso_O

and how many plugins are there for outposto_Oo_O
    Do other security companies develop plugins for outpost. for example stopzilla built in outposto_O?

10. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

I have used all of the firewalls on the list. I am using TPF 6.0, not the just released 6.5. Well, I can tell you that TINY is the strongest from the protection point of view. As already mentioned, TINY is also the toughest to set up. All the firewalls listed provide enough protection for most cases. So you may want to think about if you really need the strongest protection. The best way to choose a firewall is to try them out, and to see if they meet your needs. Only by trying them out, you can have the experience on what the various features are and what they do.

11. Infinity

no need for stopzilla there is allready a better popupblocker in it. there are five defaults are four external plugins (made by the own admins and users) which you can get at their forums :)

advantages are subjective :) and may not be entitled to you that is why you should trial them imho.
    the advantages of zonealarm you should allready know since you are using it??

the site of Outpost : http://www.agnitum.com/download/outpostpro.html

hope you will trial and see how it is, if there are questions don't be affraid to ask but asking for advantages to me will not help you further I guess, maybe in the short term yes but on the long term you should be feeling it yourself, you should learn it and that way you could get a hand out of it.

Inf.

12. chaos16

Ok i will try outpost i hope very experienced users use outpost not only noviceo_O

The plugins who creates themo_O?

13. Infinity

dmut (admin on op's forum) and some other users are working on a few new creations (beta)

if you have a problem, don't hesitate, I'll try to help you and don't be affraid to read the extensive helpfile of Paranoid2000 here:

http://outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9858

14. chaos16

Is the plugin super stealtho_O wats the point of thato_O for even more protectiono_O?

Doesn't prevent u from going to siteso_O??

wat else does outpost have that no other fiirewall has

does outpost protect better than zonealarm with this plugino_O?

15. MushfiQ

MushfiQ Registered Member

Chaos...start with the normal usual settings just transfer which progs u want to use ...give them the access..while for the pgins by default it will do a decent job. Once u start many might help u out for further info & outpost forum would gave u lot of ideas...hope that helps :)

16. Infinity

:) must be easy at the moment stating that you are driving me crazy lol

super stealth is for networks so no one in your network should be able to see your IP, like it states: you are super stealthed that way, unless you are not in a network you shouldn't worry bout that, I don't :)

the blockpost plugin prevents you from getting to malware sites in your custom/default security settings. together with the blocklist manager you can import all kind of bad ip's (spammers, hackers, spyware sites,...) so you are protected against them.

Outpost and Zonealarm are different products. personally I do think that Outpost gives you better protection overall. but that is just my own opinion. the support is better too if you have any issues with it or difficulties at setting things up.

Inf.

17. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

I bought the Xmas edition of Outpost Pro after a brief (too brief) trial, but took it off because I was getting BSODS every day or two after putting it on (on a machine that had never had a single BSOD or crash before). So I took it off & tried LooknStop for a couple of weeks, which ran fine.

Then I read somewhere that PG might cause the BSODs with Outpost. So I took PG & LooknStop off, & put Outpost back on. In a few days I got another BSOD. Off comes Outpost & on goes Kerio trial.

So far, so good. In a week or so no BSODS or dramas. I turned off Kerio's Application security module because of its constant nags, but I realise that's just laziness on my part so I'll put it back on probably. Kerio seems easier to configure (marginally) than LnS, but both seem like good FWs.

When Kerio runs out I plan to trial a couple more - maybe Tiny, Securepoint and Sygate, to suss oout which one really suits me best. At the moment Kerio is looking good - though I still really want to use Outpost, because apart from the BSODs it's brilliant (and I've already paid for it!).

18. chaos16

thnx for all ur help :D

But if u say that outpost doesn't give u extra protection then i guess i wont change.

I guess i feel secure with zonealarm don't know the rest. i am a novice a bit more experienced but still have a lot to learn. And i am willing to learn more.

Is wanting the best protection for my pc a bad thing :D

I just want the best lol.

19. Infinity

have you wrote down the error you get when receiving the bsod? or maybe looked into your drwatsons log after that? maybe send it to the support of Outpost? Probably you did and your question remained unanswered.

It's a pitty Outpost was causing you so much headaches. I never had a single bsod (off course I had but none of them was OP's fault :D ) otherwise I would just do the same thing as you if I tried all the other possibilities.

had you tried to install Outpost on a fresh installation of xp, then get your windows updates and sp2. after all that is done put in pg3 and let it boot and restart a couple of times in learning mode. that does the trick allways here.

but I allways start with Outpost on a fresh install, after all is done I install pg and no issues yet...knocking on woods :)

20. Infinity

well...that must be the sony dvdrw dual layer. :D

21. Infinity

where did you read that?

22. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Most options for protection : Tiny . Without a doubt . You only want a firewall ? You say you tried Outpost . Not that good ? Ok . You have heard what is true . Sygate is lacking . So , guess it is down to Kerio and ZA . I have used both . I think Kerio has slightly better protection and their support is MUCH better . There you have it . You kind of decided for yourself . At least narrowed it down anyway . Good luck to you in your quest .

23. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Kerio's buggy logging has been fixed in 4.2 beta 2, just for the record. But it's logging when you use rules is still somewhat idiosyncratic to say the least.. not due to bugs, but poor design. But aside from that, I'm using it now with good results...

25. budfox

budfox Guest

W/o a doubt, NetOp is the best firewall out there...bar none. It is the only one to work at the driver level meaning that when your system boots, your still protected. It also packet filters at the driver level. Lastly is has process protection which means that a spy program cant jack IE to send out data.

Goto http://www.firewallleaktester.com/ and try these leak tests on your firewall. Netop passed all in my tests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.