Ultimate Defrag 6 an abandoned product now?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Keatah, Jul 13, 2022.

1. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Is Ultimate Defrag 6 an abandoned product now? Though the website is active in that it seems to be there just generating passive income.

Anyhow I'd like to see this updated so it works properly with large 18TB and bigger disks.

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I use it on my Windows 8.1 mechanized metal HDD-as far as discontinued I have no clue
    18 TeraBytes is a whopper- Hope you find out

sshot-2022-07-24-19-07-26.jpg

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I expect all defrag software to disappear with SSDs being common. There is no job for them anymore.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Unfortunately time and enhanced improvements render the once fascinations of predecessor PC series obsolete for the more streamlined and higher performance models and those features. For instance my 8.1s no matter how efficient and trouble-free gives off vibes when 98 fell out of favor for XP.

A big bonus for me though is a few Windows 98/XP custom programs still work even on Windows 10 which is a boon. I always liked the 3D effects of stacking ALL open windows in a scrollable roll. That app still works oddly enough on desktop/laptop.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Publishers of defrag software started adding SSD optimization a few years ago in order to try and stay relevant.
    https://www.oo-software.com/en/pres...langer-nutzen-dank-neuartiger-solid-methode-3
    https://download.raxco.com/perfectdisk-ssd-optimization
    https://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag-pro/
    Using O&O Defrag on my SSD led to better benchmark scores with CrystalDiskMark. But my PC didn't seem to run any better. Perhaps it's better to leave the defragging of SSD to Windows itself.
    https://www.hanselman.com/blog/the-real-and-complete-story-does-windows-defragment-your-ssd

6. xxJackxx

Of course they do. They have to justify their existence. Too bad it doesn't actually do anything. Paying money for a placebo effect to wear out your SSD faster seems like a bad idea to me though. Access time at any location on a SSD is the same. It's like buying a $200 HDMI cable. Actually it's worse because the expensive cable won't wear out your equipment.

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

A point I suppose. I only at present have a single SSD transistor Windows 10 system until I grab something that suits if I can afford it.
    UltimateDefrag6 keeps my mechanized platter HDD running as about as good as it can get. I tried every other brand from commercial to cheap freebies but never got the performance Boost UD6 offers. The others jam up your computer with all sorts of nonsense claiming this and that but who wants a DeFragger with a either a service running or a pile of files just to support to make a defrag run good but does little to stay that way.

With UD6 my 8.1 system after a defragment runs like a top and besides that shuts itself off afterwards. Like a standalone only a very good one. The visual disc metaphor is icing on the cake since you can (if you prefer) watch exactly which file(s) are being moved or you can manually move a folder of files OR single file to a desired location.

8. xxJackxx

I've heard claims it was one of the best for a mechanical drive. I'll take everyone at their word. I used to get good results with O&O using the defrag by filename. Of course it is really hard to keep it that way as new files would always be added to the end and to re-sort it took hours. Norton Speed Disk was great in the Windows 98 days. When they released a version that supported NTFS it would corrupt the file system so I never used it again.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

@xxJackxx- I was using it when it was first introduced here in this forum. It was green behind the ears then but that visual metaphor of a true circular disc image with the files showing as tiny squares on the platter moving around along with their accurate index numbering convinced me they were on to something novel. Developer ISSO brought attention to it and he was very active in it's early development and encouragement as well as support.

Suddenly he left them and took up with X64 snapshot program. Another groundbreaking achievement that sadly faded into oblivion eventually. I was certain 5 would be their final release until the series 6 debut. That is the one I use now and its greatly improved and bugs worked out to satisfaction. Sad past for me is when I eventually give farewell to Windows 8.1 at some point I am going to miss this program defragger.

In it's current 6 series it remains remarkably heads above every single other I have wanted and tried but they flopped or bugged out. UD6 is not a single time once failed or displayed any issues so I use it on a routine basis so long as my HDD keeps running at top efficiency.

10. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

same here. i do not defrag here by task (windows default), all disabled. HDD got really fast (not only bigger) in the past 10 years.

UD6 is still available, files are from jul'21, a year old now. but this should not mean its outdated, maybe the are no changes needed.

i did not like it, the circular view is not my favorit, and the squares are much too small. other vendors resolved such issue when they combined several sectors and show all the files in it.

offline defrag is nice, but not really needed as defrag itself.

disktrix abandonned "defragexpress" ages ago, that was really fast, and i kept VOpt (free at last) and O&O Defrag because its pro and not that bloated like Raxco. all others were deleted.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

UD6 is the 'da bomb for those still chugging along with what others like to rib us on with mechanical drives BUT they still function efficiently and perform as expected or even better than expected even with some years of mileage to them.

Agree that UltimateDefrag 6 likely doesn't need much improvement or could be improved beyond as outstanding as it currently is with series 6. Of course that doesn't mean a UD7 isn't in the offing-you just can't always accurately predict those things when it comes to software's still propping up aging systems and doing it well.

12. xxJackxx

They still have their place. If you are storing files offline They retain data longer than a SSD which will lose data if power is not applied for a long period of time.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I reconstitute some just for that very purpose. They seem very resilient and watertight.

14. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Changes are needed, space either at the 16TB or just above isn't handled correctly. Manual drag'n'drop placement fails here.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Agreed! I just scraped about 200 Gb of data away to trim space on the Spindle HDD and left huge gaping gaps inconsistent with proper defrag placement. That's where their (UD6) circular metaphor view really comes in handy for me. So i used PuranDefrag (another classic), and it fortunately realigned by filling in ALL the gaps OF FREE SPACE and displayed in UD6 a much more full ring of continguous data blocks/neat even placement again.

So its a good thing in this instance that some long forgotten programs are yet still capable. But I couldn't agree more UD6 needs improvements as it's yet an unfinished project. If not for your complaint I would have thought it was sailing along just fine until I ran into using it after carving out (moving off disc) that much data and then shocked by the empty slots it couldn't seem to realign as expected.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  16. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

UD6 should fill in those gaps, there's an option for it. Fast Placement (consolidate).

I personally don't worry too much about small gaps between files. On the other hand, having no gaps prevents the file system from fragmenting and cramming files into those spots.

I suppose the most important thing for speed and reliability is having files contiguous. All IMHO of course, and that's subject to change at any time.

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I don't concern over a few gaps either but after removing 200 plus Gb of files from a 1Tb supply, it left as i said what i saw as huge gaping gaps that maybe 'consolidate' option might have strung them in closer. I tried 'AUTO' and also ticked the submenu box of 'Optimize Folder Placement Relative To MFT' than under that submenu selected 'Prioritize By Minimum Cluster' (recommended) in it's Advanced Settings.

PuranDefrag filled everything together as i expected UD6 to do and in record time- Maybe 15 minutes or less for a 1 Tb HDD with 568Gb of free space left after carving away 200GB or so. Now everything runs way much snappier and lighter.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  18. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

A less-thought-of benefit of defragging and consolidating free space and all that is the filesystem is lighter. So many fragments to keep track of.

Anyhow. I think UD is is now in the passive income mode. The website just sits there generating pocket change. I got burned by other software that way. No updates. No promised features ever implemented.

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Sorry to hear that if it turns out so that way. Maybe not but then over time you usually can tell if it's there's still a future for further development or not. The circular graphic metaphor was innovative for defrags when it first introduced it and here now years later it's one important visual that accurately indicates which files and file number are moved along with other info that when it's working well keeps a system pretty snappy without having to leave services run like others do or constant tracking.

It's been kinda nice that feature wasn't just eye dressing but seems took a pretty good engineer to come out with it and other features useful for mechanical HHD's.

20. Nanobot

Nanobot Registered Member

As long as you keep the default settings plus a couple other options enabled (FragProtect, Respect layout.ini) then UD is not that bad. however once you start utilize other options such wildcards - Respect the high performance - ignore files/folders then the entire program starts to crumble. bugs show up, huge gaps in the continguous area, files/folders that belong in the continguous zone you see them instead in the HP zone and vice versa, defrag operation that shows signs of lagging etc.

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Indeed so. It's not such a bad defragger from my experience just those things that you point out is when it can get dicey

22. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Yes. A bit buggy no doubt. I had issues with having it ignore certain files or leaving the Recycle Bin alone.

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

In my Windows 8.1 I always keep a fresh monthly copy of Custom Refresh.WIM which is as near a backup image as it gets without actually restoring one of those from your choice backup solution. What I determined so far on the defrags is that when I EXCLUDE it from defrag UD goes ahead and defrags it anyway. Not a game breaker but I normally like to keep that WIM file intact as it is without moving blocks around just in case it's needed to restore my system, files and all. I would call that a BUG too yes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.