UK TV (BBC iPLayer) in Austrailia - Is http://expatshield.com/ safe to use?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by google88, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. google88

google88 Registered Member

Hi

My sister is out in AUS, and want to use the BBC i player.

She gets an error message about being in another country.

There is a site called http://expatshield.com/ that is supposed to give a UK IP.

She has asked me is this kind of thing safe?

What are the risks with this? (before i tell its OK to do :p )

Cheers

2. redcell

redcell Registered Member

Expat Shield is another product by AnchorFree. The UK IP assigned is not anonymous but it doesn't matter for watching British online TV. One thing I don't like about it - its installation also littered my computer registry silently with Hotspot Shield (same company) though I had no problem cleaning up.

Another alternative is Security Kiss. Each download is binary-tagged to your downloader IP. Security Kiss free version gives to maximum 300MB daily usage. It has 2 UK servers to choose from and I tested both anonymous.

Personally, I use VPN only for web browsing stuffs. But if you're fine with its low bandwidth speed, no harm trying.

3. google88

google88 Registered Member

Cheers for the extra info

I'll pass it on to my sister

:)

4. box750

box750 Registered Member

http://www.securitykiss.com/sk/index.php?m=FAQ

What information is kept in logs and how long are the logs stored?

We store logs containing connect/disconnect time, IP address and also traffic volume to control usage for every user.
    We have no time limit for logs storage. Governmental requirements are not consistent and differ depending on the country so we keep logs permanently.

5. redcell

The anonymity I was referring to IP check result.

Unless you run your own VPN server, there's no way to be 100% certain of whatever despite the other party claims. It's also logical that in order to remain total anonymity everything needs to be acquired freely - no payment traces and your base connection must not be your home. Any email and web activities must never contain your home IP.

My best example:
    Free wifi (different locations) -> VPN A -> VPN B + TOR
    I managed to acquire 2 decent VPNs freely.

6. redcell

Yes I'm pretty positive. Especially if someone is using long-range wifi adapter connecting to a generous open wifi internet connection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.