Uh-oh! link count error? 962 CDs needed?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by janusz, Nov 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janusz

janusz Registered Member

Greetings!

I'm a bit concerned after my first experience with TI8 . . .

Reference: True Image 8 (build 774); dual boot system (WinXP/Mandrake Linux).

Hard drive 1:
    C: Win XP

Hard drive 2:
    D: Windows
    Linux partition

1. I boot to TI8 from CD. When attempting to create an image I get this message:
    -----------------------------
    Some of the selected partitions have the following error: Inconsistent link count.

Please note that creating images can be continued only in sector by sector mode.
    Continuing will cause the image size to be quite large and you will be unable to
    change the partition parameters while restoring. It is recommended that you exit
    Acronis True Image and check the partitions with your operating system disk tools.
    -----------------------------

QUESTION 1: After exiting from TI8 I am no longer able to access Drive D. After rebooting the system I am able to access Drive D. Why does this happen?

QUESTION 2: What does "inconsistent link count" mean? I checked both hard drives with Norton Disk Doctor and it indicates all okay.

2. Again booting from CD to create image, I next tried NOT selecting the Linux partition, Ext 2 and TI8 asked for CD to begin the backup process, ready to go. This clearly indicates there's some kind of difficulty associated with the Linux partition.

QUESTION 3: Another interesting observation was that TI showed that in Normal compression mode I had 19.6GB that would take 8 hours and require 962 CDs. When set to Maximum compression mode, the compressed amount about changed to 8.42GB that would also take 8 hours and 491 CDs!!!!!! What's going on here?

QUESTION 4: What do I have to do to get TI8 to backup both WinXP and the Linux partition in a single process step?

Thanks!

janusz

2. janusz

janusz Registered Member

I just made a mistake getting TI while it's still a beta! Gone back to Drive Image...no errors! Peace...of mind.

I'm outta here like a wild goose in winter!

j

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.