UEFI Issue - Paragon's Recovery Media doesn't work on Microsoft Surface Pro 4

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by tato747, Jun 28, 2016.

1. tato747

tato747 Registered Member

Hello.

I've been trying to boot from a recovery media's pendrive (created using various methods: .iso file creation and/or directly from the utility) but there is no way it works.

I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 Pro.
    I've disabled Secured Boot from BIOS, so that is NOT the problem... the application doesn't start either this is enabled or disabled.

I've created the EFI pendrive recovery media with all these Paragon products,getting the same problem.
    - Hard Disk Manager 15 Pro
    - Drive Copy 15 Pro
    - Backup and Recovery 15 Home

All those product I've mentioned are uEFI compatible

Any ideas? Could this be fixed? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help and time.

2. tato747

udate:
    with Backup & Restore 15:
    Using the Microsoft Windows PE option on Recovery media platform when creating the USB-flash drive, it works but screen is too small (maybe is related to a video controller issue).

The problem is when I choose the EFI firmware interface under Linux section on Recovery media platform. The USB-flash drive created boots correctly on the Surface Pro 4, the Main Menu appears, press Enter... the HDD icon shows up... and nothing happens after that; the screen remains with the HDD icon on the center of the screen... 5, 10, 15, even 20 minutes of wait... still the same screen.

As you can see on the images attached.

Attached Files:

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I´m not sure if this is the problem. Some tablets use a 32-bit "version" of UEFI, although in principle UEFI is 64-bit only. Paragon programs may not be compatible with 32-bit UEFI.

4. tato747

Hi Robin! thanks for your reply.

I've checked on Microsoft's site and they say:
    "The Surface Pro UEFI is 64-bit, and so you can only run a 64-bit OS on there."

Besides, Surface Pro 4 is a pretty new device to the market that comes with Windows 10 Pro x64 by default (the one I'm using is the Intel Core i5 6th gen/4GB RAM/128GB SSD version); I don't think they have shipped out such device with a 32-bit version of UEFI and a 64-bit OS.

5. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Similar problem:
    IFL and Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

6. tato747

Hello everyone.

I've received an answer from Paragon's Technical Support (Thank you very much Maxim!):
    Dear Mauro,

Thank you for contacting us!

Since Microsoft Surface Pro 4 is kind of a vendor-locked device, they might make some of its hardware to not function properly when using "generic" access methods, which Linux-based recovery media employs. Please create a WinPE-based recovery media with added drivers for storage SSD and chipset, if there are any identifiable in your system, and try booting from that.

Paragon Software Group

You can find more information in our Knowledge Base: http://kb.paragon-software.com/

It seems to be a Surface Pro 4 issue. So I'll stick with WInPE-based recovery media until Microsoft decides to unlock this device in the future (if that ever happens).

Thank you anyways guys!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.