UDF File System Compatibility

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Menorcaman, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

A much earlier post of mine hilighted a problem regarding the choice of UDF file system used to preformat DVDs for "direct" imaging via UDF packet writing software. Unfortunately, that post contained a typo in that it should have read UDF 2.01 instead of UDF 2.10 :oops:. Since then, another thread titled <Restore image from InCD> contains the results of test carried out with TI 8.0, which concludes in Post #16 that TI 8.0 Build 826 introduced compatibility with UDF file systems up to, and including, UDF 2.60. I have now repeated those tests using TI 9 Home Build 3567 and find that DVDs formatted with InCD UDF files system 2.50 or 2.60 are NO LONGER compatible when accessed via the Linux based boot rescue environment. Probably because Build 3567 uses a different Linux kernel.

I see that Acronis Support are now recommending a UDF file system not greater than UDF 2.1. However, I'm not sure there is such a version, certainly not when using InCD. Perhaps Acronis Support or other users could confirm whether it should be UDF 2.01 or UDF 2.10?

Regards

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Menorcaman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, you are right. It was also a typo in our posts. It should be as below:
    "UDF versons higher than 2.01 are not supported when using Bootable Rescue CD. So we recommend you to use UDF version 2.01 or lower"

The information about versions of UDF can be found here.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Aleksandr,

That's what I thought. Thank you very much for the confirmation and link to the Wikipedia article.

Best regards
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.