Ubuntu to go with Chrome?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by vasa1, Jun 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

2. mvario

mvario Registered Member

Personally I prefer Firefox, but I'm surprised it hasn't happened already Chrome really seems much more Shuttleworth (sort of an open-source Jobs direction of favoring aesthetics, making things simpler, and limiting choices)

3. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I'm very surprised that they have not already.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

If they do that, then it should be Chromium not Chrome.

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Well put.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

In total agreement.

7. Hungry Man

Why should it be Chromium instead of Chrome?

8. noblelord

noblelord Registered Member

9. mvario

mvario Registered Member

It definitely will be Chromium. The differences aren't great enough that they would abandon the open source branch. Plus it allows them to do custom integration.

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Shuttleworth is not a purist:
    https://lwn.net/Articles/442782/

IMO, when he said, "Chrome", he meant it.

11. mvario

mvario Registered Member

I've seen that. Shuttleworth is no rms, and he's not a purist, but he does have his own ideas where he want so go, and I think not being able to work the code into Ubuntu is not where he's going. I would be extremely surprised if it is Chrome rather than Chromium in 12.04

12. Hungry Man

I would hope they go with Chrome considering that they are both open-source (except, of course, for flash, which is packaged in Chrome and sandboxed) but Chrome supports more codecs.

There is virtually no reason to use Chromium over Chrome. They are both open source projects.

13. mvario

mvario Registered Member

Sauce?

I can't find anything that says that Chrome is open source (or anywhere to download Chrome source code). All the stuff I can find says that the source code that is released is under the Chromium project. In fact the inclusion in Chrome of Adobe stuff means it is definitely not completely open source.

And aside from the Adobe stuff the differences are pretty negligible. And of course being open source the source code is readily available for Chromium which allows for some integration into Ubuntu.

14. Hungry Man

Everything in Chrome is open source EXCEPT for Adobe Flash (like I said). If you wanted to you could download the source for every part of Chrome except for Flash.

And Ubuntu devs can freely edit the source code of Chromium and it will effect Chrome.

The only differences are that Chrome includes flash (and sandboxes it for extra security) and that Chrome has more Codecs support and that Chrome natively autoupdates.

15. mvario

mvario Registered Member

So where can you download the parts of Chrome source that differ from Chromium? I realize that almost all of the Chrome source comes from Chromium, Google calls Chromium the open source project behind Chrome, they don't call the release Chrome itself open source, except in relation to Chromium.

I realize I'm picking nits here, but technically every byte of Chrome isn't open source. And while you can download the source code for Chromium, when you compile it you get Chromium and it's still just a little bit different from Chrome. I can't find anywhere that you can get source code that when compiled will give you Chrome (with it's tiny little differences from Chromium) and I can't find anywhere that says that Chrome, where it differs from Chromium, is open source.

16. Hungry Man

There are no parts of Chrome's source that are different from Chromium except for the included open-source codecs (you can search for WebM and VP8 yourself, the source code is readily available) and the autoupdater was released but I don't know where to find the source -- I just know it's available.

Again, the only thing that has not be open sourced is Flash. That's why it's "based" on Chromium. V8, every codecs, the updater, everything is open source except adobe.

17. mvario

mvario Registered Member

I understand that, but when Google releases Chrome do they release source or just binaries? I just don't see Canonical grabbing binaries and including Adobe parts when the differences (aside from the Adobe parts) are minor, and when Ubuntu likes to tweak their stuff for better integration. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but my money say you'll see Chromium included in Ubuntu.

18. Hungry Man

You can view and make commits to Chromium and the open source components of it as well as download the binaries. You can also get the source code, that's why there are so many versions of Chromium (rockmelt, etal)

19. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It's not just Flash. There's also the PDF viewer for which code is not available.

20. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I wonder if Chrome has restrictions on the modification/removal of Google's trademarks in the UI. Also are there EULA differences ?

Cheers, Nick.

21. mvario

mvario Registered Member

You can find the Chrome EULA here:
    Linux http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?platform=linux
    Windows http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?platform=windows
    Mac http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?platform=mac

There isn't a EULA for Chromium since it is open source, but the license terms under which the various components are released can be found here:
    http://code.google.com/chromium/terms.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.