Ubuntu to Become a Rolling Release ..

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Would be something I would really appreciate (if it actually becomes a true rolling release).

http://ostatic.com/blog/ubuntu-to-become-a-rolling-release

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/23/darily_ubuntu_updates/

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Good move, whenever it happens.

3. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I'm for sticking with the 6 month release cycle. Why? Because some changes being forced upon you in a rolling release might be good or they might not be good for your particular hardware. Case in point, on this Lenovo, that I use to own, kernel 2.6.32 ran the Intel graphics just fine but kernel 2.6.35 destroys the resolution (other than default). At least I had the option of just using Lucid instead of being automatically upgraded to Maverick. Rolling releases are a bad idea in my opinion.

Later....

4. katio

katio Guest

The 6 month cycle is plain stupid. Way too short for any kind of business/enterprise or a no frills no, hassle private workstation, yet always outdated compared to bleeding edge rolling release distros. From that perspective I welcome ANY change. It's not really that bad though to be honest, when you are using ppas you essentially already get that kind of updates, they just aren't official.

I wonder what happens to LTS Server? No way I'll be switching that to a rolling release.

5. katio

katio Guest

from el reg
    anyone who's been following ubuntu news will know that's already the case with firefox and we've talked about this here extensively:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=282823

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Finally willing to follow the best. :argh:

7. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Kation, thanks for that link - much clearer now :D

8. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I, in my limited experience, liked the rolling release cycle of PCLinuxOS. As far as the kernels, they were not usually automatic upgrades. They were just made available in the repos for the user to install manually.

9. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Aw, I was hoping they would get to Zippy Zebra :p :D

10. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

It looks like Raving Rick has put the kibosh on these rumors.

11. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks katio and midway40 for digging a bit deeper. I will be quite happy with optionally installing the 'latest' software currently only possible by using launchpad PPA's.
    (The thing with 'rolling' releases, like my CentOS 5.5 good till Apr.2014 is that I will not be taking advantage as it were, because CentOS 6 will be released quite soon
    and curiosity, as well as a must have it as well attitude, will result in me ditching 5.5. It will also save me from ridicule here on the forum ... 'Ocky is so behind the times' :D )

12. tlu

tlu Guest

Yes, offering the latest versions through Ubuntu Software-Center is a welcome step although I don't find it necessary for most packages - and as already mentioned by katio, the Ubuntu policy has already changed for, e.g., Firefox.

Regarding ppa's: In Raving Rick's blog somebody mentioned the y-ppa-manager which makes it easier to search for ppa's containing specific packages and to easily add/remove/purge those ppa's. It's available from https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/y-ppa-manager - so far only as 32bit but it works also on my 64bit system.

13. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks tlu, i am now totally updated on what to do re. the PPA's. :thumb:
    They say it's pre-alpha, but you don't seem to have had any problems so I might give it a go as well (also on 64 bit).

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.