Ubuntu Tablet with Convergence is Coming

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by aigle, Jan 22, 2016.

1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

USA - Back in a real State in time for a real Pres
    I'd like to see crapple & M$ crumble soon. Maybe this'll help.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You're certainly not alone... :)

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Not bothered about the crumble aspect, but would be good to see some more competition and choice.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It's a long long way to go for them. I believe they have much much less resources than Google, Apple and Microsoft so I am not expecting a miracle. It will be a great achievements if ubuntu could survive even as an option for tablets, phones and other devices.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

This is what I've said before about Canonical/Ubuntu. Shuttleworth is trying to develop Ubuntu and making it a viable alternative to MS and Apple, maybe even Android eventually. He's had to make funding decisions which have been controversial. Personally, I think he's going in the right direction. If any Linux distro could compete with MS or Apple, it would be Ubuntu.

8. amarildojr

amarildojr Registered Member

I think most big distros should unite and develop a single Tablet OS. All distros have good and bad (or terrible) aspects, so creating an OS with all the goods we currently have should allow for a pretty darn good system.

* Arch has the fastest and smartest package manager, and editing/compiling packages is the easiest here;
    * Ubuntu/Unity has the good looks and probably the best hardware compatiblity;
    * Debian has stability and the best/fastest security fixes in the Linux market, and a vast repository;
    * Fedora is always bringing new and good stuff;
    * openSUSE has the easiest AppArmor integration and the smartest GUI installation, and YAsT is by far the best GUI configuration tool out there;

Put all these qualities in an OS and we might have a decent competitor. All we'd have to do is hope that developers set their egoes aside. Might be harder than I can imagine, though ;) Everyone is always trying to be "the first and the best", and sometimes do a poor job on it.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Why dream something they can never happen.