Ubuntu - pulseaudio log messages

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

There are no problems with audio/video but the user logs show this type of message regularly:- pulseaudio[1836]: ratelimit.c: 7 events suppressed
    I have this in both Lucid and Karmic and have no idea what it all means. Maybe another bug that can be ignored ?

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

I get them too, so do others, there are programs like Skype which use Pulse but they have bugs of their own, these tend to generate this entries more than others.

3. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I get them all the time. Sometimes I will see 500 messages suppressed, etc.. Also, PA wont play my system sounds.

I actually hate PA but I stick to it because I have a couple of programs that need it. I suggest you try out OSS -- it is wonderful and never gives error messages, never blinks, never cuts out, etc. It replaces ALSA and PA and comes with its own mixer. It just works.

Again the only reason I use PA is because I have one or two programs that wont work with OSS. Otherwise i would dump PA and ALSA for OSS again. It is 1000 times better and never gives error messages. It's a shame a few programs wont work with it. (for me those two programs are GTK-record-my-desktop and projectM).

4. linuxforall

Also if you use Pidgin and install OSS, make sure to disable sounds in the former as it would lock up the kernel otherwise.

5. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Never been a problem for me.

6. linuxforall

You mean to say you don't get hardlock when there is a sound event in Pidgin?

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Strange, since I installed padevchooser the message shows up only once when I first play an audio or video file. Subsequent playing no longer generates these messages.

8. linuxforall

Good tip, will give that a try, btw, massive Ubuntu update including new kernel, gedit, nautilus and more yesterday, it was around 70mb.

9. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

No massive update here yet. Yesterday nvidia current/common, today synaptic update manager ..

10. linuxforall

Strange, check update manager again, maybe the time difference but I got 2.6.32.22 running here.

11. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

That's the kernel I also have - got it 2 or 3 days ago. :)

12. linuxforall

Ha ha ha it seems I am the one who is behind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.