Ubuntu on Laptop

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I am very happy to inform the people here that I have installed Ubuntu LTS on my daughter's (18 years) Toshiba Satellite A200 Laptop.She wanted to use Ubuntu because she saw how fast Ubuntu is working on my desktop.She loves to use it. :)
    Since this is the first time I am installing Ubuntu on a laptop and here I know many of you are very experienced Linux users I would like to ask a question:
    Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is working excellent out of the box.I found a link on this forum to a page about maximizing the battery life on laptops.Should I try all the steps on that page,or should I leave Ubuntu as it is? Are there any things that I should pay attention?
    Thanks in advance and this is the link to that page:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/55185/how-to-maximize-the-battery-life-on-your-linux-laptop/

2. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

well congratulations Cet on your achievement :thumb:

i set ubuntu on my brother laptop i chose it as default settings just install ubuntu tweak thats all :D

let me check what else lool its been a year and he is very happy :rolleyes:

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Install Ubuntu Control Center. Its inspired by the Mandriva Control Center and is much more intuitive than the GNOME Control Center. Its puts all the most frequently used settings in Ubuntu in one place.

I have it on my Ubuntu desktop and I'm quite pleased with it.

4. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

That's all very nice but does that help with cet's query re. battery life ? I don't have the control center installed so don't know whether one can adjust all those settings cet refers to in her link via the control center you mention ? Let us know plse. Norman.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Disable bluetooth if you're not using it.
    Use the balanced power scheme.
    Mrk

6. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsnqiO839rY

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/18953/ubuntu-control-center-makes-using-ubuntu-easier/

http://ubuntuguide.net/enable-ubuntu-control-center-windows-control-panel-like-interface

nice tool i didnt know about it thanks :thumb:

but ubuntu tweak give you more gui power if that you looking for or you can use Control Center as well

as per power control i agree with Mrkvonic disable things what you dont use by default

disable wireless when not using the net (wireless drain the battery most)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Looks like a good guide. Currently using Ubuntu Netbook Edition Maverick Meerkat on my netbook.

8. GideonD

GideonD Registered Member

I've installed 10.10 on an HP dv4-1281us and it's working great for the most part. I do have some issues with the battery though.

Firstly the gauge does not report the battery life at all. It just says estimating. That was fixed by switched to an alternate battery app.

The second problem is much more serious. When turned completely off, the computer still drains charge from the battery. I loose as much as 20% overnight. It never did this when Vista was running on it. Evidently this has been a recurring issue with Ubuntu since back in 2006/2007 at least. Just be aware of the issue. As near as I can figure wireless, lan, and usb must still be getting power when the machine is shut down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.