Ubuntu MATE 19.04 Disco Dingo - Order and chaos

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Fresh from the oven, a long, thorough review of Ubuntu MATE 19.04 Disco Dingo, tested in a multi-boot Windows and Linux setup on a laptop with UEFI, GPT, 16 partitions and Intel graphics, covering live session, installation and post-install usage, including look & feel, networking - Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing, printing, multimedia support - HD video and MP3 playback, smartphone support - Android, iPhone and windows Phone, partitioning and slideshow, package management and updates, Boutique and extra software, applications, customization and many associated problems like buggy desktop layouts, Brisk menu crashes, buggy global menu and dock, hardware compatibility, video tearing & compton, Wireless disconnect, suspend & resume, performance and responsiveness, resource usage, battery life, various bugs and niggles, and more. Have fun.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-mate-disco.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Thanks.
    The Brisk menu adoption (or its existence for that matter) never made sense. First there's already a very good Mate menu, as you showed. second there's the Whisker menu of which Brisk tries to be a clone but never comes close.

3. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Whisker menu can be used with Mate’s panel?
    I thought it was a XFCE panel plugin.

4. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I don't know.
    What I meant is: why develop from scratch a menu that mimics (badly) something that's already there? Why not simply port the (better) original?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.