Ubuntu isn't connecting to my wireless router.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cheater87, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

It detects it and trys to connect and I just get the wep screen. I already have that put in but it still does not connect. I have to fiddle around until I get it to connect.

2. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Try wicd.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  3. cheater87

Can't figure out where to go to install it in download.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. cheater87

I know thats where it is I don't know how to download and install it.

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

7. cheater87

I'm in the terminal and I can't type a password.

8. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

There is no need to be in a terminal yet. Do this first. Click /System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager. Enter your normal login password and click OK. In the new window click /Settings/Repositories then the Third-Party Software tab.

Click the Add button and copy and paste the following
    Code:
    deb http://apt.wicd.net intrepid extras

Exit Synaptic Package Manager. Now is the time to open a terminal and copy and paste the following to the command line.
    Code:
    wget -q http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

You will be asked for a password. Again, this is the same password you use to login. Now go back into Synaptic and click Reload and Wicd will be available.

Edit: This is assuming you are using the latest version of Ubuntu. If not, replace the word "intrepid" with the one for your version.

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I installed the deb package since wicd is already on Sid (i expect similar with Ubuntu).
    while root.
    With Ubuntu it should be
    and insert password when asked.

Network manager (default with GNOME) is slowly maturing note, and i believe it's necessary to uninstall it for wicd. If it is, you will be notified anyway upon installing wicd.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    as seen in my thread similar to this i have the same problem.
    sometimes connects sometimes doesent.
    if i replace network manager with wicd is it easy to go back to network manager later on?
    ps i use fedora.

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Personally i have no idea, specially since it's an "outside" deb package and i haven't tried uninstalling.
    If/when packaged by Debian/Ubuntu (or your distro's people), i don't expect problems, unless you're using the bleeding edge like Sid.

12. cheater87

When I enter that into the Terminal nothing comes up asking for my password.

13. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm afraid that is too vague. If it doesn't ask for a password, it's telling you something :)
    Perhaps lewmur's suggestion above is better cheater.

14. cheater87

I'm trying to do what he says do I hit restart after I put the first copy and paste in or do I exit it and not restart? Maybe that is why its not asking me to input the password when I go copy and paste the other line in the terminal.

15. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

After you add that repository, you exit Synaptic and do the other bit.
    If it doesn't work, tell us what the terminal spits out.

16. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Did you set up a password for your user when you installed Ubuntu or did you leave the password blank? If you logout are you required to enter a password in order to log back in?
    It is quite possible that you now have wicd available in Synaptic. Just make sure you search for "Wicd" rather than "wicd" after you click "Reload." If "Reload" works without an error message, then the terminal command worked.

17. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

@cheater87: Since you can't solve it using the described method above, do as this instead:

1. Open up the terminal and paste this:

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

-Enter your password-

2. See if you can find the following line as a repositorie source:

deb http://apt.wicd.net/ intrepid extras

3. If it's there, then go to '4', it you can't find it, paste it into the list and save the file.

4. Open the terminal and paste this:

wget -q http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

-Enter your password-

5. Open up synaptic once again, reload, and locate the list at /settings/repositories to see if the Wicd source is checked.

6. Press "Search" and type Wicd, and when Wicd appears in the left list, erase the inserted "Wicd" in the search window.

7. Now check "Wicd" in the main window and install. The Gnome network manager will be uninstalled.

Done!

If you can't solve it now with the help of this foolproof instruction, then you're beyond redemption...

/C.

18. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

I don't see how this can help. The line I highlighted in red is the exact same as the step in my procedure where he claims it didn't ask for a password. And the first part is just a manual way of adding the repository and that he has already done.

19. cheater87

Well I don't know what happened. I didn't do any of this yet and I just fiddled around with the wireless setting and I can connect but not automatic. It connects when I go to settings and I then have to type my password in and then it connects. I don't know why its doing this but I'm glad it connects but kinda bummed its not automatic.

20. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

21. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Sometimes when trying to add a new repositorie source to the sources.list by using synaptic, it doesn't update the list by some unknown reason. I had problems myself adding Wicd as a repositorie source using synaptic, so it has to be a glitch of some sort. Therefore I described the direct method of editing the sources.list using gedit, which worked flawlessly. The rest of the info was added, which I'm well aware of is exactly the same as you described above, for the reason of not confusing the OP by describing it step by step.

/C.

22. cheater87

Ok have Wicd enabled but it won't let me go online. It says connected but I click on firefox and it has the page come up when there is no connection. Is it because I entered only 1 of the 3 DNS addresses?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.