Ubuntu has been stuck at 305 packages for about an hour,

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cheater87, Apr 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Is something wrongo_O I'm upgrading from the Ubuntu update manager it self.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It's probably not a wise idea to try this today cheater87.... let things calm down a few days and then try. Or download 9.04 and install fresh. But I'd wait a day or two minimum.

3. cheater87

I'll try tomorrow or the day after then.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

If you would have followed my instructions to update via apt-p2p you would be sailing smoothly with Jaunty by now. I have already updated multiple PCs running Intrepid like that yesterday, I downloaded Jaunty in Gnome and Kubuntu versions via P2P as well with no issues. P2P is not affected at all and in fact within few hours the seeders/leechers ratio was fairly balanced.

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Someone correct me if I'm wrong; can the download just be installed to the boot partition only, which will upgrade it to 9.04, while leaving all user settings and info on the Home partition intact? I'm sure I've done this before but I think it was to fix a problem with the original version so I didn't lose anything on my Home partition.

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Your home will be untouched.

7. cheater87

When I tried updating it said something about my graphics card or some atp thing not being supported. This worries me.

8. tlu

tlu Guest

For an upgrade the Alternate CD is recommended, though. In fact I've never used the Live CD for upgrading so I'm not quite sure if it offers the option to leave the home partition untouched.

9. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Not that I use ubuntu, but in these situations I favour a fresh install. There always seems to be issues when doing an upgrade (at least for me) Plus, I like that feeling of a newly installed system without the bloat and garbage that i've gathered over time.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Don't worry about it unless you see something that obviously isn't working. You'll see all kinds of little weird messages like this from time to time, most of them don't mean anything serious and aren't critical to the operation of your setup. So fret not, unless you are seeing or having some distinct problems.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, same here. I will always do a fresh install, just to get that clean new feeling and avoid any potential issues. In Linux, a fresh install and update and config usually doesn't take all that long really.

12. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I agree. Depending on the internet speed it may take a while to download but generally a fresh install doesn't take any longer than an upgrade such as this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.