ubuntu gutsy gibbon aka 7.10 has arrived

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by clansman77, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Ah wait, the CD itself never shows anything?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I'll be checking this one out over the next few weeks...
    Cheers all,
    Mrk

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Did you check the integrity of the ISO's with md5sums and quickpar?

I tried to install xfce4 on openSUSE 10.3 and it broke the system...

4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

All Three CD's are okay. I erased Ubuntu 7.10 from two of them and have another Linux on one right now that I just downloaded and am using. All 3 were checked with Ubuntu's cd integrity check and all say there is 1 file error.

Here's what I managed to get, for what it's worth. I don't understand any of it.

I got hdd:error code:0x70 sense_key:0x03 asc:0x15
    Buffer I/O error on device hdd, logical disk block 288625 and 288626

Tried Casper and same error codes.

Then tried safe graphics, same problem

I switched resolution to 1024x768 and no error warnings , just little white bar blinking in upper left corner for 5 minutes.

Then tried safe graphics, same screen res as above with Casper, went to the post office to check mail. Returned 15 min later and the little white bar was still there.

Then, I gave up and decided that I'll erase Ubuntu 7.10 from my 3 CD's and use them for something else. Somewhere in all that, I tried 32 bit and even 16 bit color but no luck.

Ubuntu 7.10 just doesn't like my computer. I'll stay with 7.04 and wait for the next version.

One last thing. Ubuntu 7.10 DOES run on VMware now if I set the screen res to 1024x768 and 32 bit color, but it's so miserably slow it just takes the fun out of it.

I have version 7.04 and it works without a problem, as do all other flavors of Linux I have. Can't win 'em all, I guess.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I never tried that here. I'm just running the KDE install out of the box with just a few programs added like VLC, Streamtuner, Xmms and so on.

I had good experience adding Xfce and Gnome to PCLOS though, that went fine, had all 3 working on one setup a while back.

Right now guess I am sold on SuSE 10.3 with KDE... :)

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I just installed it and I need some help.

1- How to install Opera. I tried command sudo apt-get install opera but did not work.

2- The browser font ( FF) is not as nice as in windows. I don,t like it. Any tips to make it looke better.

3- How to change the mouse cursor, don,t like the default one at all.

Thanks

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

1- probably you have to add a repository. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OperaBrowser
    2- Preferences- Fonts in Debian, should be the same here, and in Firefox's preferences Content- Fonts and colors.
    3- Preferences- Mouse - Pointers ; you need to find a mouser pointer "theme" (never searched)

Chuck, if the CD's are ok, where do you see that error? When installing from the cd o_O
    As wilbertnl said check the integrity of the ISO.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks Pedro. Thanks I can change the font but I was asking if you people use the default font or change to to some other that looks better.

I have downloaded some cursor themees and will see how to use them. Unfortunately no option of pointer in Mouse settings, may be somewhere else.

9. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I do like the Dejavu fonts, also the free Redhat Liberation Fonts look good.
    And then you could also go for the (apt-get install) ttf-mscorefonts to get the microsoft webfonts installed.
    Otherwise, here is some nice reading about improved font rendering.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks Wilbertnl.
    I will check these out!

11. DonMartin

DonMartin Registered Member

@Clansman77: Thanks for this info.
    Downloaded and installed! :thumb:
    /MadDon

12. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

has anyone tried the 64 bit version??how is the application support?i am planning to try it..

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I'm using 64-bit Linuxes for ~ 2 years now. The only thing missing is WINE. Otherwise, everything works fine - and FAST.

BTW, I did the following in the last few weeks on one of my machines:

Upgrade 6.10 > 7.04, ok, only small problems with beryl / compiz
    Upgrade 7.04 > 7.10, no good

I guess I have customized the distro too much for the upgrade to work...

I'll try a clean install (with home partition intact), see how it goes.

Cheers,
    Mrk

14. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

You can either download opera from it's site, or add the medibuntu repo by going to synaptic, settings, repositories, add, then insert apt line

deb h**p://packages.medibuntu.org/ gutsy free non-free

Note: This is a third-party repo that is not supported by Ubuntu

edit. I changed the http to make it easier to copy and paste without a link being inserted.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2007
  15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya, I have already downloaded the package and instlled without any problems.

Thanks

16. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I had a feeling my post would be a little late for you, and was posting something you already knew. Maybe some lurkers will benefit. The cup is half-full.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

No problem. I am thankful to you.

18. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

19. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i updated my laptop last night. i've only had the laptop for a few months and it dual-boots with vista. vista runs really slow on it so i never use it. and the old version of ubuntu wasn't very good either because as it was a new laptop the hardware wasn't very well supported. i ran fluxbox on it, that's the best it could do.

but, after upgrading everything worked perfectly, it now uses gnome with no problems and runs really fast with compiz running too. i really like my laptop now :cool: i knew it would work better once the devs had had time to get the hardware working better. it runs as well as my desktop ;)

of course when i did the upgrade i only used the base supported repos, about 4 or 5 i think, and ran the correct command too -
    gksu "update-manager -c"

my wireless even still works using WPA, i'm glad because i don't know the WPA password, or the password for my router, so i would have had to do a lot more work to get the internet working if it hadn't worked. i've got a compaq laptop, i thought that was just the same as an HP, maybe not as good, but similar. lots of people with HP laptops say you shouldn't upgrade to gutsy because it's not supported. there's even a Sticky about it -
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=582220

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.