ubuntu gutsy gibbon aka 7.10 has arrived

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by clansman77, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

2. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What,s new?
    Any screenshots?

Thanks

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Downloading it now, I just hope it will be easy to update from 7.04

5. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

dang, ubuntu is just bulldozing ahead at full force. i just checked the what's new and i'm impressed. the ones that caught my eye :

there's more of course. man if linux supported games better, it would be game over for microsoft!

6. sukarof

Ah..well one shouldnt expect everything to work right away :cautious:

After a two hour upgrade of the 7.04 to 7.10 the first thing I get is "Failed to initialize HAL" and network card got lost, sort of... No connection and complaining that it cant find a network device, but when I look at properties of the network I can seet the IP and the DNS servers. Very slow response when navigating in the interface, it locks up for 10-15 seconds on almost anything I do..

When I get the time I will try a clean install instead coz upgrading a OS is almost always just a waste of time, be it windows or Linux... same same :)

7. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I've upgraded this morning, everything is working, i only had some trouble with the xserver, but that is something you can expect with every upgrade of Ubuntu.

I can't wait for the next version, this one is allready great but Hardy Heron [LTS] should be even better. :D

Lamehand

8. Durad

Durad Registered Member

This is good news, but, does it still need minutes to filter messages with SpamAssassin??

I hope Evolution is finnaly able to work with HTML messages. This bug was reported 100 of times in last year..

9. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

I agree, but as long as the application base for games is what it is, then I´ll have to stay with windows as my main desktop computer. But when it comes to which OS to choose for the servers, then there´s no competition to the solaris I´m using.

/C.

10. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Ubuntu must be doing something right because my download speed on every mirror I tried is a slow crawl. They need some internet traffic cops. Will try again tonight.

11. sukarof

Ok, finally got it working. Something in the new version didnt like the network card built into my mobo. So I connected a D-link card and got internet running, even though it is a red cross over the connection icon and clicking on it says "no network device have been found" but thats just a minor bug.

Managed to update nvidia drivers and got the eycandy working. I dont know how to get it to show the cube (yet) but the sliding between the desktops works nice and are fast without lagging. The window key seems to do stuff too. Kind of cool how you can have applications half in one desktop and the other half in the other.

Otherwise I find 7.10 faster than the previous version. I like it so far, makes me wanna explore ubuntu further.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks zopzop.
    Will give it a run on VB later.

13. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Downloaded it, burned it to a CD and......nothing. I tried again with a different CD, and nothing. It runs, loads, and my monitor, an older 17" NEC Multisync A700, goes to dark screen and the little green light turns to amber.

Two different CD-RW's, different brands, same results. Guess I'll stick with 7.04 for now. No choice but to remove it.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U can try on any VM.

15. Chuck57

good idea aigle. I've got VmWare server and will give it a try before I erase the CD's.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

No need for CD. I usually use ISO directly form the HD for VM.

17. Chuck57

Yeah, right again. That tells you how long it's been since I've used either VM or VB. On this computer, Ubuntu doesn't work either on CD or from the hard drive ISO. It spends time loading, and it's there and I can watch it load. As soon as it loads, the screen goes blank and the monitor light goes from green to amber, just as when I turn off the computer.

It's the same whether I use live CD, virtual box or VM server.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hi chuck, do you think it could be that ubuntu doesnt reconize your graphics card properly?
    have you tryed it on a different computer?
    lodore

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

May be problem between Ubuntu and his Mobo as he said it doesn,t run even on a VM.

20. Chuck57

I've thought of graphics or video card, maybe motherboard. I haven't tried the CD on my wife's computer. She won't let me, since I can't make her understand the live cd won't hurt her computer. I've seen a couple of complaints on the Ubuntu forum that look very much like what I've experienced. I'll wait a few weeks and try another download.

21. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I installed Xubuntu, and I think it's beautiful!
    And many improvements...

Forum status:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  22. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Just installed ubuntu. Received some unexpected error messages regarding screen resolution (never had one with previous releases) but a few reboots and it self-corrected. I am not big on the eye candy, but it seems to be a little faster, and my comp seems to be running cooler with this one.

23. Chuck57

You guys are making me jealous. I think I'll stick one of the CD's in the drive and fool around some more, maybe reboot it a few times until it obeys and runs, or I say to H*** with it and just erase and re-use the 3 CD's.

I just ran the Ubuntu check CD thing on all THREE CD's holding 7.10 that I've now burned from 3 different mirrors. All 3 CD's, according to the Ubuntu startup test say there's one file error. Apparently whatever the error is, it's serious enough to keep me from loading. Being on 3 CD's from 3 different mirrors, it has to be a Ubuntu glitch.

24. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Black screen that's the driver. Is it ATI or NVIDIA? Ctrl-Alt-F1, login, then "cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf" and look for the driver being used. If it's the free driver, there's probably something not configured right. You can:
    -Try the vesa generic driver just to get in GNOME and go from there;
    -Reconfigure the free driver (example, for ATI there's this tip i haven't tried yet in Arch wiki)
    -Select the proprietary driver ("fgrlx" for ATI, free driver is called "ati")

To resume GNOME, Ctrl-Alt-F7, and Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to restart X
    I'm sorry in advance if i'm completely off the right track, with me you never know for sure! :D

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hi Chuck,

Sometimes these things happen in Linux. I ran SuSE 10.1 flawlessly, but when 10.2 came out, I couldn't run the graphical install gui no matter what I tried, it was just a bug in the installer. Now in 10.3 it's fixed and all is well again. Weird things do happen...

I did try Xubuntu on the live cd, but was not at all impressed. I have to stick with SuSE 10.3, to me, it just seems way more polished and sophisticated. May give Ubuntu itself a spin sometime soon though..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.