Ubuntu Forums Get Breached, 2 Million Users/Emails/IPs

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Amanda, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Haha... so it happens to Ubuntu eh? Amazing.... :)

3. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

****, my email and password must have been leaked

4. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

My condolences to all of you who will now receive dozens of SPAM e-Mail thanks to this :thumb:

5. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

6. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

It's not a great idea to use emails that you actually use for registering accounts.

This is minor compared to the Mint hack which replaced links to iso's with their own and they were inside Mint for at least a month, after ignoring someone who told them they were hacked, then claimed to have fixed the issue before shutting down everything for weeks when they found they didn't fix it. The Mint hacker DID have actual forum passwords.

"No active passwords were accessed; the passwords stored in this table were random strings as the Ubuntu Forums rely on Ubuntu Single Sign On for logins. The attacker did download these random strings (which were hashed and salted)."

7. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

source

...as long as they hashed and salted the passwords correctly, there should be no password breach.

EDIT

I just see now @AutoCascade makes reference to this.

8. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

9. oliverjia

The patch to that vulnerability has long been released, but no one at Ubuntu Forums bothered to install it.
    The admins of that forum should be fired and they should never get a similar job in the future. These stupid morons did not have the basic sense of security while they have millions of personal login info in their hands. Is it that hard to have their software up to date?

10. wat0114

Does this mean you are going to stop using Ubuntu :D

11. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Not really, if the Forums are well created then the admins only need to press a button. I know this because I'm the admin of a IPB forum. One click and you're done :D

Ah, come on... everybody makes mistakes. I'm sure this will be a very valuable lesson to those people (and also to the people that say Ubuntu does security "the right way" -which it does not, but that's not the point of this thread). That shouldn't be a reason to be in some sort of ITblacklist IMO.

12. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

'Storm in a teacup' if you ask me.

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

It's a bit more complicated than that. From what I understand, the admins, who are non-paid volunteers, don't have control over what is updated and when. That is done by Canonical itself.

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Interesting.....

15. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

You would think in light of Mint's issues (which Mint has completely fixed) that Canonical would have paid attention.

16. oliverjia

No, when I said the "admins of Ubuntu Forums" I did not mean the IDs listed in each forum, in other words, the moderators there. I meant to say the staff who are in charge of maintaining the servers of the Ubuntu Forums, as well as the forum software. These people are the stupid morons who should be banned from such posts in the future.

17. oliverjia

No, they are not making a mistake, they are just too lazy to click and update button. Such behavior reflected their lack of responsibility, and lack of professional work attitude. Such kind of mistakes is very different from the type of mistakes people could make when they actually actively tried to make the forums safer.

18. oliverjia

LOL, not really, I am still going to use Ubuntu. After all, it's not a reflection of the OS's problem. It's a problem of the forum software.

19. wat0114

That's probably a good decision. I have no reservations whatsoever about using anything Ubuntu-based, these days using LXLE.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  20. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

I use Ubuntu for mass deployment and work due to its ease of install, out of box Apparmor thats easy to customize and also quick security patches on time. No issues there but Ubuntu web site needs to go HTTPS ASAP!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.