Ubuntu Considering Ending Traditional Release Cycles

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mman79, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

http://arstechnica.com/information-...nge-that-would-end-traditional-release-cycle/

"In the nine-year history of Ubuntu Linux, a new version of the operating system has come out every six months. But Canonical, Ubuntu's developer, is considering ditching that model in favor of one that produces an entirely new version only once every two years—while speeding up the overall pace of development by adopting a "rolling release" cycle in between."

2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

As I see it, it would work as a rolling release that is stabilised as an LTS every 2 years.

They forked away from Debian to get 6 months releases and now they are moving back to a similar cycle to Debian (where testing is their rolling release and the main release equivalent of LTS).

Cheers, Nick

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I like it.
    Mrk

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

makes sense to me.

having to re-install a new OS every 6 months is a major PITA.

5. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

I agree.

6. About damned time.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I like it too.. Sounds like a great move..

8. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

I approve.

If Ubuntu does this, the effects on Mint will be interesting. LM would then have 2 rolling releases, one Ubuntu and one Debian based. The Mint team have tossed around the idea of going full Debian base in the past so I wonder.

9. I see problems with this, relying more on remote automatic software updates like Windows might be a problem. I fear they will spend most of the time on security updates and patches instead of improving the core components on the OS.

Saying that, I stick to LTS releases so I would support the move if it brings better quality releases..

10. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

That would be nice, especially if Mint followed suit. When I found out a half-rolling release meant re-installing the whole OS every major release I lol'd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.