Ubuntu and ATI 2009

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dclkdm, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dclkdm

dclkdm Registered Member

I would like to install Ubuntu in dual boot with my w XP.

I know Acronis can't back up the partition that will be created by Ubuntu (yes build 9707 can I believe, but the dutch version of Acronis is always wayyyy behind in build number, I now have 9646).

Am I right in thinking that:
    If I create a full back up of the whole drive before installing Ubuntu, I will be able to go back to windows only as it was.

After installing Ubuntu, I can keep on backing up my C (windows) and D (data) partitions (ntfs) as I used to and restore these partitions if needed.

I would not make a home partition for Ubuntu but only install program, data will be always written to the D partition (ntfs) which can be imaged.

So worst case: I would only loose Ubuntu when returning to the whole drive back up situation (before Ubuntu was installed), and can always return to latest Windows & data situation by then putting back the latest images of these partitions separatly?

Please correct me if I'm wrong! Thanks.

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

dclkdm:

You can back up and restore Linux partitions with True Image if they are ext2, ext3, or ReiserFS partitions. If you're using an older build of the program and the newest Ubuntu version, you'll find that TI does not understand Ubuntu's ext3 inode-256 partitions, but that doesn't prevent it from being able to back up and restore these partitions in sector-by-sector mode. The newest build is supposed to understand inode-256, so backups with a new build will be smaller in size.

Yes, if you make a full-disk image now, you can go back to Windows only (the current state of your disk at the time of the backup) if things go wrong with the Ubuntu install. In the future, you can image the whole disk and restore any of the partitions individually if you'd like, even the Ubuntu partitions.

Hope this helps...

3. dclkdm

dclkdm Registered Member

Thanks! Helps a lot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.