Ubuntu 9.10 released!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Eice, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eice

Eice Registered Member

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Burned it to a CD and just got done with the live CD. Its great. :) I have not installed it yet will do that when I get home from work.

3. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Just finished installing. Te gui looks very nice and the fonts are great. F-Spot didn't work again so I got Solang instead. Got rid of Rhythmbox and Banshee is working great.

Replaced Totem with mPlayer and installed Vlc.

Everything works!

4. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Does the 9.10 loading screen turn black for like a second while loading for anyone else?

5. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

I'm getting the feeling that Me and Mark are the only ones who actually like Totem. I always do, however, install mplayer with either the smplayer or gnome-mplayer front-end. Feeling zen, so it's the latter right now.

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

For me I zap both the default media players and install VLC. I have a lot of esoteric media formats, and just getting VLC is much easier than getting all the codecs for the whole bunch.

7. tlu

tlu Guest

The only serious issue with Karmic I'm having is that Virtualbox is considerably slower than under Jaunty. I had run it with SMP (2 cpus) enabled, and its performance used to be excellent. Now under Karmic SMP is actually unusable on my system (Intel Core2Duo E8400 with 3 GHz). The best combination for me is 1 cpu + VT-x enabled - other users report a better performance with VT-x disabled, though.

Some posters in the VB forum reported that using the real time kernel fixed the issue but it didn't in my case. (Besides, I shy away from a kernel maintained in universe.) Nevertheless this suggests that this issue is somehow kernel related.

8. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Early adopters bloodied by Ubuntu's Karmic Koala

Article

9. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

@tgell
    No such problems here, Nika updated her Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 last Sunday and all went well. I'm interested whenever the people who have problems had a particular piece of hardware/drivers installed.

10. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

2 machines running 9.10, one perfectly, one has an annoying brightness control bug.

I think totem is a great lightweight movie player, but I use totem-xine as totem-gstreamer does not play my DVD's well.

F-Spot works fine for me, but I know of other complaining about F-Spot not even loading up.

I'm convinced that it runs smoother and does'nt bog down as much as Jaunty, both for Gnome and KDE, especially the KDE LiveCD is second-hand measurably faster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.