Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope slices boot time in half!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello all,

A very pleasant article for you today ... as the title says, boot times cut down in half ...

One of the great promises of the Ubuntu spring release is the shortening of boot times. Alongside a modest range of humble changes, the boot performance is supposed to be one of the major improvements that Jaunty Jackalope brings over Intrepid.

I have recently tested Ubuntu 9.04 and found it to be a good distribution overall. During my testing, I did indeed notice the boot times have improved, but could not really say how much. I promised to check this later on - and here we are!

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-boot-time.html

Enjoy,
    Mrk

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Indeed, the Jaunty boot time is quite spectacular. I have not seen anything like it to date, either in Linux or Win. Sidux was pretty quick last I tried it, but I think Ubuntu is the champ now. :thumb:

3. incursari

incursari Registered Member

Yes, I install Jaunty and the boot time was fast. I'm impressed.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

I know people would laugh at me but with some tweaking and defragmenting of system files, XPx64 will boot quicker, only thing is one it gets past logon window, it chokes on loading startup stuff like AV etc, this is where Jaunty and even Intrepid and older Ubuntu like Hardy blows it away. I am yet to see a Vista booting fast, with Aero enabled even on a high end card, it just chokes while booting and after login. This is indeed a step in the right direction. Many of the younger gen who come to my house are just amazed when I boot my Jaunty, all they go is WOW and damn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.