Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver - Canonical giveth, Canonical taketh

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, May 21, 2018.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Today, we have a long, detailed review of Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver, tested in a multi-boot Windows and Linux configuration on a laptop with UEFI, GPT, 16 partitions and Intel graphics, covering live session, installation and post-install usage, including look & feel, networking - Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing, printing, multimedia support - HD video and MP3 playback, smartphone support - Android, iPhone (iOS) and Windows Phone, partitions, slideshow, welcome screen, package management and updates, livepatch, apps and extras, snaps and repos, hardware compatibility, firmware, webcam, stability, suspend & resume, performance, responsiveness, resource utilization, battery life, customization, fonts, various problems and inconsistencies, Gnome 3 issues, Unity desktop, and more. Enjoy.

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-beaver.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Thanks Mrk, that was interesting.

' ... or stick Unity onto 18.04'

This has given me hope lol!

3. longshots

longshots Registered Member

As always, another great article, but I do have to ask the question - are these reviews just an excuse for you to show us your music collection?

4. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I finally tried it, I downloaded both Ubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu Mate 18.04. I have been using a Lenovo Ideacentre mini PC for Linux destop distro testing. I'm kind of following Mrk's example with the G50 and doing different distros on the same hardware. Mrk's right, with Ubuntu, it's all downhill since Trusty. 18.04 isn't awful in any sense of the word but it is a disappointment compared to 14.04 and 16.04. It is a nice version of the Gnome 3 desktop but it is still Gnome 3 and no longer Unity. I liked Unity and it made Ubuntu different from the rest. Ubuntu Mate is a bit lighter on system resources and a much more functional desktop. I would use it in preference to the Gnome 3 version. Nevertheless, it is still slower and more bloated than a Debian Mate Stretch installation I did a couple of weeks ago which is lighter on resources and loads much quicker. So if I started doing real work with any of these test installations, it would be with Debian Mate, not Ubuntu.

5. Mrkvonic

The answer is: indeed.
    Mrk

6. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Mrk's musical taste hasn't changed much over the years. :). Though I have to ask...where was Peter Gabriel? You usually show him.

Nice review, Mrk. I always enjoy your writing style.

On a side note, I really don't know what I'm going to do about 18.04. Probably wait until 18.04.1 and hope that a lot of the bugs I experienced recently have been fixed. 18.04 is not worth giving up a very stable 16.04 as of right now. Everything in 16.04 works as I expect it.

Later...
    Bob

7. Mrkvonic

Peter's there ... lurking. But he's there! The taste has been more or less the same for the past 20-ish years.
    Ubuntu 18.04 with Unity should be ok, and I'm retesting Kubuntu.
    Thanks btw!
    Mrk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.