Ubuntu 16.10 essential tweakology guide

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Bells and whistles and Monday fun. Commence to enjoy this article presenting several essential and non-essential functional and aesthetic tips and tricks for Ubuntu, including extra software like Skype, Steam, GIMP, and VLC, Unity Tweak Tool, new icons and themes, horizontal Launcher, other customization, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-yakkety-yak-pimp.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

On a 16:9 ratio the launcher should be vertical.
    I like the Macbuntu theme, Vivacious is even better.

3. Mrkvonic

As in ergonomic reasons (vertical vs horizontal equity)?
    Mrk

4. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Yes, with that ratio vertical space is at a premium, particularly for web pages and documents.
    I have my Xubuntu panel vertical, at the left, and it makes a considerable difference.

5. Mrkvonic

What's the size and resolution of your screen btw?
    Mrk

6. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

At the moment I'm limited to 15.6" 1366x768, hence Xubuntu (only one panel) and the small size makes it mandatory the left position.
    Previously on a 21.5" 1920x1080 with Ubuntu 14.04 as the main distro, but when playing around with KDE I found myself moving the panel to the left, even considering the large space available; in fact the many OSs I used had the panel thrown to the left, including Windows 7. Once I've tried never went back, to the point of finding bizarre the bottom or top position when seeing in screenshots like yours, or videos; I could live with it on a 16:10 but not on a 16:9.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.