Ubuntu 13.04 on me high-end box - 'orrible

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Almost with regret and personal shame, I present you the worst software review ever. This is an extremely highly negative review of Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail, with Unity desktop, tested on a laptop with Nvidia graphics card and Broadcom Wireless, covering installation, drivers setup and a short, painful experience, with myriad problems like kernel crashes, Nouveau driver excessive memory and CPU usage, very slow network speed, unbootable desktop after network restart, inconsistent behavior, worrying trends, dashed hopes, and more. You know what, don't even bother to read, it will sour your day. It sure did sour mine.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-ringtail-high-end.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

hahaha! :D

anyway, i find it somewhat stupid that Ubuntu must release a new release every 6 months, right on the dot, ready or not.

it should be released when it's ready, not because it's been 6 months since the last one. :shifty:

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

This is why I like Debian 7 so much.. At least it's stable... And it's years between major versions.. my kinda distro.. :)

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Hope springs eternal.... in twelve months, Canonical will release the next LTS reiteration of Ubuntu and these miseries will hopefully be a thing of the past!

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I think the LTS releases are definitely cleaner and more stable...

6. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

They are the only ones I can get to run at this point. 11.10, 12.10, and 13.04 have all been useless for me. 12.04 LTS works ok.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, when I run Ubuntu, it's 12.04, and for Mint, it's 13. No issues with either of those for me...

8. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Recently I decided to fire NVidia and upgrade my system with a cheap MSI H61M-P31 ( W8 ) motherboard (support for uefi and secure uefi, yes!) and the cheapest Intel G2020 cpu with Intel® HD Graphics built-in. (Oh, did I mention plus 8GB memory?)
    Connected with powerline ethernet.

Oh man, what a pleasure this configuration is!
    *everything* works right out of the box with any recent linux distro. What an Apple-like experience is that!

UEFI got a bad wrap from Windows 8 requirement to be secured, but in non-secure mode it is actually *fantastic": Install Windows 7 AFTER Linux and GRUB2 is still commanding the boot process, unless I decide otherwise. Boot conflicts are history.

9. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

You made a valiant effort Mrk. Thanks for the rant.

Something's gotta give. Hopefully progress comes from this rolling release business we heard of a few months back. I never saw the point in the 6 month release cycle anyway, always thought Debian's model was more appropriate.

10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That's really good to learn of! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Looks like something that's going to have to be set up for my units. And i was almost resigned to the fact that Windows 8 and Linux dual scenario would become another unpleasant experiment in trial and error to make ready.

11. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Apart from kernel crashes, my xubuntu and kubuntu experience as spotless.
    I only ask for consistency across the board/releases, that's all.
    Either good, good forever, or sucky forever, but not ping pong.
    Mrk

12. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

:thumb:
    I use a spare HDD to test new releases, but for every day use i decided to settle down with LTS releases.

13. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I have zero experience with Windows 8, but from researching I understand that OpenSuSE has a deal to use Microsoft's security certificate to enable booting in secure UEFI mode. Your distro choices may be more limited if you want secure UEFI, I'm booting in non-secure UEFI mode, since I'm not interested in W8.

By the way, when you plan to install anything with UEFI enabled, you MUST boot the installation medium in UEFI mode. Look at recent installation CD's/DVDś and you might find a /EFI folder, this means that the CD/DVD is able to boot in UEFI mode. If not, it can only boot in bios mode.

14. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I've now upgraded 3 out of my 4 machines to Ubuntu 13.04 and no problems with display or network (they all used intel chipsets with open drivers), stability or performance, nor have I had any problems since before 12.04 (which IMHO was the first usuable version of Unity).

Guy in our LUG bought a new Win8 laptop and dual boots with Ubuntu and secure boot running. Took a bit of research, but he has managed to get it working and reliably and he is a pretty generic user rather than a more advanced user like a developer or sys admin.

Give me a shout if you need the info and I ask him for the details.

Cheers, Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.