Ubuntu 12.10 with Nvidia - No, no, no, no, no, NO!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Read carefully, this is for YOUR benefit: a negative review of Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal 64-bit on a high-end laptop with an Nvidia graphics card, covering live session and multiple-boot configuration on external USB disk, installation, and post-install use, focusing on horrible problems with Nvidia drivers setup, unbootable system, extensive troubleshooting, Nvidia vs. Nouveau, good overall Nouveau performance, system resources, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubuntu-quetzal-high-end.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

What is their problem over there? These problems sound like the days I used to try and get ATI to work well ((If you were on the Linux scene prior to oh, say 2009/10, you'll know that was a futile mission nearly.)). I don't know how a normal user would handle all this, especially those new to Linux. My best guess would probably go something like *voice of Cartman* "Screw you guys, I'm going home!" In my own opinion, they need to reverse this course they've been on before they find themselves falling continually down the ladder that is Distrowatch. I'm kind of glad I stick to hardware a while before boarding the latest and greatest train. Older hardware has always seemed a safer bet on Linux.

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

4. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

I have three different machines currently running Ubuntu, one desktop with xswat ppa running Ubuntu LTS 12.04, one EEEPC with AMD C60 running 12.10 and one icore5 laptop, the intel one has no discrete card but the other two machines do. On Quantal 12.10 its very important to install linux-headers-generic before installing either nvidia or ati drivers or else you will boot to a blank Unity less screen. Having said that, both machines work fine with no issues whatsoever, the desktop has newly added nvidia 660TX and the EEEPC has dual ATI. The Intel is updated via oibaf ppa for latest Intel drivers.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Release notes are fine for geeks. I did mention that in my update section.
    Does not change the fact the whole stack is botched.
    BTW, Kubuntu 12.10 works fine, but that's for later.
    Mrk

6. linuxforall

I agree the missing headers is a serious quality control breach and omission and by now with updates it should have been rectified. Also the removal of Jockey and hiding essential component like hardware drivers is another big SNAFU. The forums and AskUbuntu pages are full of queries of veteran as well as new Ubuntu users faced with a blank desktop after installing hardware drivers.

7. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i am wrong with nouveau drivers :rolleyes:

8. linuxforall

Good that nouveau maybe and its rapidly improving, it can't match nvidia in temperature, power management as well as FPS which to gamers is quite important.

9. Ring0

Ring0 Registered Member

10. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

please correct me if i am wrong

so far i found is nouveau better on temp then nvidia but yes less FPS but on some cards old cards they work better than nvidia on FPS

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_nouveau_clocks&num=1

11. Nouveau is really, really unstable in my experience. I have only one nVidia card, and it's not new, but with it the Nouveau driver consistently locks up after the machine is resumed.

The nVidia proprietary driver is also obnoxious, but it has the advantage of actually working properly (under most conditions anyway).

12. linuxforall

Not here, be it laptop or desktop, the proprietary nvidia runs the chip cooler and in laptops the battery consumption is around 20% less. Also I can do Bumblebee to save more.

13. linuxforall

That has worked along with the big game companies committing with Ubuntu and Linux, nvidia performance has shot up but and latest news is that the sleeper AMD Catalyst has also doubled its performance with version 12.11 beta 8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.