Ubuntu 11.04 beta1 released

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Attached Files:

2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Mack_Guy,
    What video card are you using? The video card has to able to support desktop effects (compiz) before you can use Unity. Since Unity is not showing then either you haven't installed Additional Drivers or your card is not supported presently.

Later...

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

virtualbox doesnt have support for accelerated graphics for linux.
    if unity cant detect accelerated graphics it will load up a fall back mode (unity2d) which does look very similar to gnome 2
    if you try the live cd on real hardware it should load up proper unity.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'd be interested to hear anyone's impressions on Unity... I can't install it myself right now, but I'm curious.... I have a long standing ATI graphics issue and can't run the Ubuntu live CDs, so all that's left for me is the alternate installer. Anyway, comments on Unity would be of interest....

5. mack_guy911

thanks guys i burn a disk and check :D is it possible to load graphic card without rebooting pc

i mean terminal command to restart nvidia service.......etc

6. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Just enable compiz and refresh Ubuntu. Its not necessary to reboot unless you're updating the linux kernel.

7. Trespasser

Kerodo,
    Unity just keeps getting better and better each time I try it. Today I'm using daily build 4-2-11 with my laptop which has an Nvidia card. It's running very, very smoothly at present. I believe I could get use to it...which is a change from not too long ago when I absolutely hated it. It does have its appeal.

BTW, if you install and open compizconfig-settings-manager> Unity plugin>Experimental there's a slider for transparencies now. Also, if you right-click on the Applications button (on Desktop) it reveals a category list for applications.

Ati cards run pretty well in Unity with just the open-source driver. My old Sony laptop with a Radeon 9700 integrated card runs Unity.

Later...

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

There are more new things (small stuff) since release of beta 1.
    This video is shows some of the features of natty beta 1.
    -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkFv5jwbNq8&feature=player_embedded#at=71

Maybe no classic fallback in Oneiric 11.10 per M. Shuttleworth.. here

At the moment I am pretty happy with Scientific Linux SL6, maybe even as a future substitute for these latest Ubuntu's which seem to be designed for
    anything but desktops. But wtf do I know ? Will be interesting to see what those jumping ship will opt for.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  9. mack_guy911

what i did is strange but works for be i can able to enable side scroll of unity on live cd

what i did is i install nvidia drivers on live cd and didnt reboot

instead open terminal with root

#service gdm stop

i stop the gdm service and from Ctrl + Alt F2 i open CLI mode

start gdm service

#service gdm start

it start new gdm session with unity thing enable

so you can test unity things without rebooting interesting stuff :D

as far unity look like mackintosh kinda not bad but unity is pretty unstable give lot of crashes we like to see stable distro hope in future

also there is no right click which is kinda weird and we cannot set panel to bottom i mean docky or awn kinda anyways not bad but takes time to user get used to it also netbook kinda view is also feels kinda weird on desktop with huge icons lot of improvement needed specially in stability.

what you guys say?

but one good thing about unity is its extremely fast feel faster than xfce which is very good move ram it takes around 340 in live cd

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  10. Trespasser

Ocky,
    I was wondering whether you run Maverick on any of your PCs. If so, then does AptOnCD work for you? I couldn't get the Restore button to work at all (meaning it will not open a window to thus search for an iso image). Natty's AptOnCD acts the same way. That's the only reason I running Lucid on most of my computers.

Later...

Bob

11. Trespasser

In my last post I was typing from our main desktop via Natty in Classic Gnome mode. Driver fglrx was installed...everything was fine. Then I reboot...chose Ubuntu (Unity) at login...entered my password...then the screen went black. Strange. In Classic Gnome with effects no problem...under Natty...black screen.

Obviously a conflict between fglrx and compiz.

Later...

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks Trespasser..... I think I'm going to have to install it when the final is released this month.... :)

13. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Short review of 11.04 beta1 by The Register; 'Natty Narwhal with Unity: Worst Ubuntu beta ever'
    link (not much love for Unity...)

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

He's not really saying much specific, just that Unity is buggy and unpolished at this point. Wish he had gotten into some particulars to illustrate his points.

15. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Hi Trespasser,

Works fine on Maverick here. Maybe purge and reinstall o_O

aptoncd.jpg

BTW. Good to see you joined the SL forum. Now to get Karma what you need to do is share your tips, like the Abiword one. :p I have already posted my Openshot one. :D
    U308 beacuse I am invested in Uranium stocks - the Fukushima business is not doing me any favours. :mad:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  16. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I had major issues after upgrading my Maverick system to Natty. Compiz wouldn't really work at all (it crashed after a few seconds). A red "x" appeared on my taskbar where the network manager was supposed to be, couldn't fix it. If I ran Gnome instead of unity, it was constantly throwing errors. And the worst thing: the newest kernel would never install -- I kept getting an error about how the kernel image wouldn't finish extracting.

Overall a bad experience for me. I ended up backing up /home and just reinstalling Maverick. Hopefully this stuff gets ironed out come end of the month.

17. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Had a quick play on a virtual machine last night, obviously was not able to try unity, but did like the global menu, very mac-like - but always found it very usable (I used to love this kinda menu on my Amiga).
    Not a huge amount to report on high level stuff, FF4 and Libre office included which I am already running.

On Unity - even if I don't like it, is easy to change to Gnome-shell or use panels as default, if the rest of the OS is solid I will keep using Ubuntu.

Cheers, Nick

18. Trespasser

Thanks, Ocky, for the reply. Much appreciated, as always.

About AptOnCD, generally I install it from a file via gdebi. The reason being in synaptic if you select AptOnCD there's a dependency list totaling around 240 mbs that you must also install. If you install via gdebi there's no dependencies. Well, this evening, after installing Maverick earlier today, I tried opening AptOnCD from a terminal which revealed a lot of hal errors. It turns out hal is not installed in Maverick by default. A simple installation of hal (plus four other dependencies totaling 1200 KBs) and now AptOnCD works as it should. Problem solved.

Have a good weekend everybody.

Later...
    Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.