^Ubuntu 10.04.1^

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by korben, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. korben

korben Registered Member

Robbie Williamson has announced Ubuntu 10.04.1, the first maintenance update to Ubuntu's 10.04 LTS release: "This release includes updated server, desktop, and alternate installation CDs for the i386 and amd64 architectures. This is the first maintenance release of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, which continues to be supported with maintenance updates and security fixes until April 2013 on desktops and April 2015 on servers. Numerous post-release updates have been integrated, and a number of bugs in the installation system have been corrected. These include security updates and corrections for other high-impact bugs, with a focus on maintaining stability and compatibility with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS."

h ttps://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2010-August/000134.html

Who's running it now? How's you experience compared to 10.04?

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Yep, the install issue is over with ATI and Intel graphics, also wireless now works out of box.

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

You already have 10.04.1 provided you have done all the updates.

Ubuntu 10.04.1.jpg

4. korben

korben Registered Member

Providing I was able to connect it first, but I wasn't ;)

So gonna give this one a closer look...

Awaiting more comments, preferrably encountered issues :D

5. katio

katio Guest

This "release" is only relevant when doing a fresh install from a new media, for everyone else it's business as usual. 10.4.1 is just an arbitrary snapshot of lucid + regular updates. All it means is there are new install CDs with some bug fixes (for the installer) and all the updates since release already on board.

I'd guess you are coming from Windows or OS X and are thinking of a service pack or point release. These are "feature releases" and as you know new features often mean bugs and headaches. 10.4.1 is called a maintenance release, the likelihood of encountering any issue is as likely as with any other minor update, i.e. very low.

10.4 is now simply called 10.4.1 Everyone who installed lucid and updates regularly (which of course you should) is running the latest version.

6. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Would you know where I can find these updated install CD ISOs?

Thanks.

7. korben

korben Registered Member

8. Eice

Eice Registered Member

9. korben

korben Registered Member

Not here, mate - no wifi.
    Will stick with PCLOS for some time.

10. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I downloaded it to have just in case I need to re-install at sometime. It'll save me a few hundred megabytes of download time. So, it's worth having around.

BTW, if you want to try a real light on resources Ubuntu 10.04 distro give Peppermint One or Ice a try. It uses Openbox, LXDE, and PCManFM. I replaced pcmanfm with thunar because of auto-play (DVD movies), auto-open (usb drives) problems. After bootup ram usage is hovering around 80 megabytes. My old Sony S360 (1.7 ghz processor...1 gig of ram) is quite snappy.

Later....

11. korben

korben Registered Member

Encouraed by your mini-review of Peppermint One I booted the system only to see connection established...and you know the rest ;)

12. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Essentially, Ubuntu 10.04.1 (as a maintenance release) is what Ubuntu 10.04 should have been - lots of minor bugs introduced in their rush to release on time. I am pleased that the auto-mount feature now works for CDs inserted that brings up the File Manager, and that the crash of serveral routines (gdu monitor and deamon) is now fixed.

However, the recent kernel security bug fix is not a part of Ubuntu 10.04.1 Live CD .iso file - nor should it have been exepected to be.

-- Tom

13. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I've always resisted ubuntu. I've always thought of it as too newbie-ish or not a cool, obscure, quirky enough distro. Build your own type of OS' have always been my flavour. Arch, Slackware, Debian, Antix to name just a few.
    I have to say however, that ubuntu has always been brilliant to me whenever i've tried it and this release is just the dogs bollocks I must say. I mean wow, it really is something else. It appears to really agree with my hardware. This old box is purring away like a kitten, even with compiz enabled. Really fast too. Not just app launching but boot and shutdown, web page loading, download speeds the lot. Font rendering is the best i've found. I'm very pleasantly surprised. Being from the UK I like the fact that it has a British developer also. A huge thumbs up here. ubuntu has a lot of fans here at wilders, I think i've just become another.

14. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

The x386 iso installed in my vm in < 15 min :)

15. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It just works.... that's what so great about it. Everything works.... I always have less issues (none really) with Ubuntu as compared to any other. So that's what I go with.

16. linuxforall

I try everything but UBUNTU is IT for me.

17. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Agreed. I'm not really an extensive distro hopper, but I've tinkered seriously with Fedora, openSUSE, Arch, and PCLOS so far. And at the end of the day, when you sit back and look at it, it's really hard to beat Ubuntu for day-to-day usage despite whatever flaws it may have.

18. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I've distro-hopped and tinkered for over two years now and haven't found anything that agrees with my hardware and "just works" as well as ubuntu does. Debian comes close but not close enough. Blimey, I sound like a right fanboy!

19. linuxforall

Join the shameless club ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.