uBlock Origion Block WebRTC no longer works

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ComputerSaysNo, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Tested myself against ipleak.net and it showed my I.P address in the WebRTC field.

It seems uBlock Origion Block WebRTC ption no longer works. This has not happened before.

Anyone else have this happen?

2. Objawienie

Objawienie Guest

Running uBlock Origin. Just tested at ipleak.net. In uBO Dashboard, block WebRTC must be manually disabled; it is not disabled by default.

Your IP addresses - WebRTC detection

No leak, RTCPeerConnection not available.

3. Use HenryPP's (latest chrome) chromium nosync (it is disabled in the source code).

upload_2016-12-16_8-45-21.png

4. guest

guest Guest

i use Adguard (for desktop) and no WebRTC leaking on IPleak.net.

5. guest: I have a Adguard subscription but don't currently use it. Does it specifically block WebRTC in it's settings?

6. Martin_C

Martin_C Registered Member

In Edge, in about:flags - tick the "Hide my local IP address over WebRTC connections" option.

Then no WebRTC leak.

7. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Yes. It's on Stealth Mode settings
    https://i.imgur.com/pHcZ5Vt.png

8. gorhill

gorhill Guest

There is no issue. You just misunderstand the purpose of the setting. Read very carefully about it:

> Prevent WebRTC from leaking local IP addresses

Emphasis: "local IP addresses". I do warn about misunderstanding that part in the documentation[1], which is linked from the Settings pane. The purpose is not to hide your internet-facing IP address, which would be nonsensical (the feature is not named "Enable VPN"), it is to hide your local IP addresses.

[1] "be cautious to not misinterpret the results of some WebRTC-local-IP-address-leakage tests found online"

9. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Thank you. Mistery solved. :D

10. Yeah BUT something has changed though since the Dec 14th update. Before uBlock Origin did not show my IP address through WebRTC. Now it does.

11. gorhill

gorhill Guest

Please don't spread FUD, nothing changed with regard to that setting, and the test provided in the documentation shows this all works as intended, as it has always been. Two other posters in this thread weren't able to reproduce, and I wasn't able to reproduce any issue.

If you really feel strongly about this, make the case with relevant technical details (steps-to-reproduce, what is observed, what is not observed but should have been, etc.) so that other people can reproduce (all old versions of uBO can be installed, so make the case that 1.10.2 is different than 1.9.16 with regard to that setting).

Also, be sure you do not have another extension actually controlling the WebRTC setting in the browser, thus preventing uBO from controlling it -- this is why ALL details matter when making such serious claim, otherwise it's just FUD -- you don't even mention the most basic information such as which browser your are using.

What IP address? Your internet-facing one?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2016
  12. Just tried the check now and WebRTC is blocked. Sorry for the alarm.

But WebRTC was leaking at one stage even with the option to block it ticked on uBlock Origion.

Not sure why that happened. Maybe conflict with something in Chrome.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.