U.S. court orders Symantec to pay $17 mln for patent infringement

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Minimalist, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/06/us-iv-symantec-verdict-idUSKBN0LA2IF20150206

2. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Interesting thing on this, this is widely considered a VICTORY for Symantec, and will likely benefit Trend. Only 2 AV firms decided to challenge the patent trolls in court.

This lawsuit is from 2010, and is based off patents held by one of the largest patent squatter/troll firms in the world.
    Symantec already factored this writeoff in the spin-off they did to a security-only branch.
    The jury decided to award only 6% of the total, and in a stunning move DID NOT require Symantec to pay ongoing royalties to the firm - Symantec can't be sued again, doesn't need to pay royalties, and can still use the technology!

Same same patent trolls are suing Trend, and it's scheduled for trial this summer. Trend and Symantec were the only 2 AV firms to not 'settle', and decided to fight this trash company. Interestingly, the patents are so 'vague' in some cases that almost all AV firms are going to either pay, or fight. Important to note! Google, Apple, and Cisco are MAJOR BACKERS of this patent troll firm.. Remember that when you do business with those firms.

3. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

"Patent Trolls Need to Just Die"

4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

and so do companies that support them.. (Cisco, Google, Apple).. I will admit I hate all three of those companies, and wouldn't shed a tear if they went under. I finally convinced my company to drop Cisco, and move entirely to Fortinet products, a wise move, and Cisco just lost a major reseller. I can't stand them or Apple for the most part. I don't even welcome apple crap in my home.

5. Houley456

Houley456 Registered Member

Yikes! Steve is rolling over in his grave.

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

no apple here either. no thank you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.