U.S. appeals court kills net neutrality

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by hawki, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. lotuseclat79

3. lotuseclat79

4. lotuseclat79

5. lotuseclat79

6. lotuseclat79

7. lotuseclat79

8. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

Google Fiber also offers speeds that blow away the vast majority of American ISPs and the average tier of service most users pay for. So that would explain a bit of it. I think a lot of people are expecting the government to step in and "save the net", but I'm not sure that is a guarantee. There are a lot of organizations with a lot of pull in the bill-making process, and many of the ones with the most pull don't want Netflix or other companies like it. The ISPs themselves don't privately, and that's one good reason it's nearly impossible to get data plans without caps.

9. lotuseclat79

10. lotuseclat79

11. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ling-will-regulate-net-on-case-by-case-basis/

"The Federal Communications Commission will not appeal a court ruling that overturned the FCC's anti-blocking and anti-discrimination rules, Chairman Tom Wheeler announced today. Instead of trying to reinstate rules that prevented Internet service providers from blocking or disfavoring Web services such as Netflix and YouTube, the Commission will try to regulate anti-competitive behavior on a "case-by-case basis."

They had a chance and, much like the tech companies against all the spying, they blew it.

12. hawki

hawki Registered Member

The FCC Chairman has decided to make a half-azzed effort to bring back some sort of "net neutrality" by using the FCC's section 706 authority over information providers rather than do the right thing and reclassify internet companies as common carrier telecommunications companies. While the Chairman has left reclassification on the table this is a sad and feeble attempt showing a lack of political will (or a recognition of the reality of the powerful political forces aligned against true net neutrality.) The FCC Chairman is a former industry lobbyist and was president of the National Cable Television Association (NCTA), and later CEO of the Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association (CTIA).

http://www.multichannel.com/technology/wheeler-use-706-authority-restore-net-neutrality-rules/148387

http://www.fcc.gov/document/statement-fcc-chairman-tom-wheeler-fccs-open-internet-rules

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  13. lotuseclat79

14. lotuseclat79

What's Wrong with My Streaming Move?.

-- Tom

15. lotuseclat79

16. lotuseclat79

17. lotuseclat79

18. lotuseclat79

19. lotuseclat79

A Net Neutrality Riddle.

-- Tom

20. lotuseclat79

21. pegas

pegas Registered Member

22. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

If Verizon and AT&T get their way, what type of internet future do many have?
    http://www.androidauthority.com/verizon-att-internet-future-368864/

23. dissident

dissident Registered Member

the whole atmosphere of greed surrounding wireless providers and content providers in general is keeping me from jumping to smart phone only... seriously data caps of 2GB in 2014? Can't even find a good way to block ads effectively on android without rooting, and there's no way to block ads at all with windows phone. As of now the screens on the iphone are too small for my taste... I'll stick with cable internet and paying 8 dollars a month with page plus on my droid 2 and not having mobile internet, infested with obnoxious popup ads that get inadvertently clicked all the time. Take my cheap $100 Dell Venue 7 along and just use wi-fi if I need to look something up bad enough. If they made windows phone more like windows for the desktop, that would be a breath of fresh air. Greed greed greed. Everybody wants their piece of the pie and it shows.

They get away with it because humans are social creatures and they know that most of them will suck it up and pay just about whatever can be gotten away with to have their unlimited texting and ability to take pictures and post them right to facebook of their mundane daily activities. Queue AT&T's 61 cent per month 'administrative fee' as an example... which firmly left a sour taste in my mouth when I was asking myself if I really want to go over to smartphone for internet and pay out my butt in taxes every month. Nah.

24. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

It's easy to blame corporate greed. In this case, the problem began with the users. That greed is one evil preying on another, specifically the desire for instant gratification. In order to get it, users caved to greed. This could should have been stopped when it began, in cells early days. Users made this possible when we agreed to pay by the minute. Users could have said no and told them to keep "pay per minute" cell usage, but they decided that instant gratification was more important. I'm not condoning corporate greed. I'll be the first one to cheer when their corporate headquarters are reduced to piles of rubble. I never jumped on the cell phone bandwagon and have no use whatsoever for a "smart" phone. One can come up with lots of privacy reasons to avoid them, but for me there's one much simpler reason. It'll be a cold day in hell when I buy minutes. When people gave them that inch, they took the next mile. As long as users keep paying per minute or per gigabyte, they have no incentive to offer anything better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.