Type of VPN Question

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by n8chavez, Sep 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I've been looking at two VPN providers lately, BolehVPN and airVPN. Both are fundamentally different, so I thought I'd come here and ask for opinions.

BolehVPN allows users to what they call their proxied VPN. Users can chose what gets funneled through the VPN and what doesn't. Similar to SSH. Both fully-routed and proxied connections are supposed to have the same encryption, which is a semi-recent development.

airVPN is just like most VPNs in that once you connect everything is funneled through. But with this method I can create firewall rules that block everything that's not sent through the VPN should the connection drop, when application X be active.

Which would you prefer?

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I've only used BolehVPN's standard fully-routed VPN, using OpenVPN.

Just routing some traffic is too risky.

3. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Couldn't that be thought of along the same lines as SSH, on the socks5 proxy is configured?

4. Everything routed through VPN.

VPN>NET

5. bolehvpn

bolehvpn Registered Member

If the program/client is configured correctly. In some cases a proxied VPN can be pretty safe since if the VPN disconnects, it can't find the proxy and the program won't be able to communicate anymore.

It's only those poorly programmed programs that will try an alternate direct route despite the proxy being specified.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.