Two system drives?

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Boyfriend, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Returnil Virtual System 2010 Version 3.1.8774.5254-REL, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (fresh installation), Returnil Real-time Virus Guard disabled, Virtual System enabled. Two HDD (Seagate 500 GB + WD 320 GB, no RAID, no AHCI).

After reading Virtualization/Rollback software test thread, I decided to try my luck with Returnil with option "Trust programs from real disk only" enabled.

In Virtual System enabled mode --> I ran Mozbackup 1.4.10 Portable to backup Firefox profile. Returnil warned that executable was not on real disk and blocked it....also a similar message appeared in Returnil GUI --> I switched from "Trust programs from real disk only" to "Allow programs to run normally" --> backed up Firefox profile with Mozbackup 1.4.10 Portable without any problem/warning.

Now problem is that whenever I enable option "Trust programs from real disk only", another drive (Z:) is visible in explorer with same size and contents (visually) as of system drive (C: Windows 7).

With option "Allow programs to run normally", no Z: drive appears in explorer.
    Reproducible on my system/configuration. Any help to hide/get rid of this clone partition?

http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/5603/samepartitions.th.png

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Boyfriend and welcome to the forums :)

It is impossible to see the image so need to clarify things. What is the name of the drive (Returnil? or other?)

Mike

3. philby

philby Registered Member

Boyfriend - I have had the same Z-drive for ages on Win7 64 HP, see here. It's presence in Explorer doesn't seem to be related to the AE settings, however.

philby

4. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I have this too.
    I formatted this Z: Drive which is named 'Returnil'...

after that I can't boot my PC. :<

5. Coldmoon

Hi Konata Izumi,
    If the drive was assigned Z:\ with the name "Returnil", it would be the Virtual Drive and not your real system.

Did you move a system folder to the Virtual Drive?

Mike

6. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I don't know... all I did was grant access to format the Z: drive
    and I formatted it.

then I can't boot.

7. Boyfriend

@Coldmoon

Thanks for kind reply. Unfortunately, I attached a small snap. The problem is that while Virtual System is enabled, whenever I select option "Trust programs from real disk only" in Virus Guard --> Another drive (Z: drive, which is not part of my HDD, perhaps Returnil related drive) appears in explorer (see snap). When I select option "Allow programs to run normally", then no problem and drive (Z:) disappears.

It is reproducible across restart. Need some logs, info etc, please ask.

Two System Drives (One is real drive C: other drive Z: is Virtual). Size: 493Kb

Problem is that an innocent user might delete/change contents of C: or Z: and can result in non-bootable system (see comments of Konata Izumi)

8. philby

philby Registered Member

Exactly!

I've still got mine, which seems to come and go, complete with replicated volume label......
    Capture.PNG

9. Boyfriend

Why not hide that virtual drive to reduce confusion to end users? Hope a fix will be included in next release build.

10. Coldmoon

It is a combination of issues that causes this in 64 bit systems and we are working to address it as quickly as possible. Look for an improvement here in the 3.2-3.3 series.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.