Two antiviruses?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by the dummy, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the dummy

the dummy Registered Member

I have been reading about mse working along side avast with no conflicts, and was wondering if this is by design or if some are getting away with it until future updates bring this to a screeching stop. What say you?

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I say its a bad idea.

Running two anti-viruses in real time is NEVER a good idea regardless if it works or not.

Its possible to get away with running one as an on demand scanner only. In the MSE and Avast case I would assume MSE running real time and Avast being used as an on demand scanner only.

Again I still wouldnt do it.

3. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

I do it with anything dual core and over 2 GB ram with no issues. Various different programs, I always put the other AV as trusted files in others preferences. I have not been having any problems for the last couple of years. Seems your thinking while valid a couple of years ago is not these days with SOME programs.

Kind of how I hear for some people say Norton sucks and bogs down your system and it is the worst AV out there. How pre 2008-09 thinking.

4. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Just because you do it doesnt mean it should be done. People shoot people every day, does that mean people should continue shooting people?

I wasnt aware kernel level driver technology has changed from a few years ago until now. It was exactly the same as it is now in terms of how kernel level drivers work and their hooking.

5. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

In theory running 2 AV's is a bad idea. Whats working one minute, may not work the next. Thats not even considering another persons system either. Sure if you want to run two AV's go ahead. If you start throwing faults and BSOD's, don't say you weren't warned.

6. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I would not do it. I remember doing it when I knew nothing about security
    and somehow I still got infected. I have used both AV you mentioned, if I
    was you I would keep the one I liked best and add something like SBIE.

Bo

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

The "Wilders Syndrome" claims another victim :ouch:

Wi-l-ders Syn-drome : A computer user who knows little about computer security until discovering Wilders Security Forum. This user, before they know it, has 3 Antiviruses, 8 Firewalls, 6 Anti-Malware and 4 Anti-Spyware applications installed and running - "All In Real Time" :D and wonders why it BSOD's and has slowed to a crawl! :eek:

Enjoy your stay "The Dummy" :D

8. the dummy

the dummy Registered Member

I m running sbie, and returnil without any a/v on my 7 64 at the moment. I was just wondering whats going on with the 2 a/v therory i was reading about lately.

9. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Good then, just ignore it! Why so much time and energy is spent here on Antiviruses is beyond me :eek: You ever see their Zero-Day/IBK's Retrospective detection rates?? UGH! :ouch:

10. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Well said.
    Just because you might be able to run 2 real-time AVs together without entering BSOD or crawling system hell doesn't make it a good thing to do.Also just because the system apparently runs ok there's no easy way to tell what negative impact the 2 might have on one another in regards to effectively protecting the system.

I just don't see what real benefit is gained by adding a few extra detections,when the addition of a complimentary technology such as sandboxing or HIPS,etc. will offer demonstrable improvements in security.o_O

11. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

No, just no.

12. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

Whatever..... Think what you want to think and I will do what works for me. Microsoft themselves says it is OK to run MSE right next to other AV. Seeing you guys come to Wilders and you know it all.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I've done it, never had a problem but who knows what happened in the background :D

14. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

There are programs like ClamAV for Windows/Immunet which are actually designed for running alongside another AV. That being said, if you think about it, if you think you need supplemental protection you probably need another base AV.

15. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

Or a smarter strategy. There's a VT add-on for FF, whatever, you name it.

16. carat

carat Guest

17. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Awesome! :thumb: :D :D :D

18. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

This topic surfaces a few times each year. The consensus is No, however some do it anyhow. IMO If you're going to use two AV's make sure only one is in real-time. Better yet skip the dual AV approach and substitute HMP. :thumb:

19. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Possible? Sure. Needed? No. Why not? Just one more app betting on detection and not on prevention.

The strategy is to first apply a prevention measure; only then detection measures, if you feel you have such need.

You'd be better off with an antivirus and with a behavior blocker/hips/software restriction policies/applocker/anti-executable.

Just my two cents.

Regards

20. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I've heard before that MS says it's fine to run MSE alongside another resident av. But do you have a link to where there is an official MS statement on the issue? Also, what settings are appropriate when running two av's side by side- one being MSE.

21. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

No. Not a good idea. What's the point anyway? Two blacklists? Nope.
    Safe-hex and prevention measures are enough for daily usage.

If people gets infected, 95% of the time is due to lack of knowledge. That's something one can't fix with an av, nor with two...

22. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Install them and try to download a malicious file - then enjoy the party :D

Running two or more real-time security products is bad idea because of technical reasons. You may be running 5 products but it won't make you more protected . I have seen problems from running 2 antiviruses at the same time . Additionally I have seen a case when user (client) was running in real time X antivirus , MBAM Pro , Emsisoft Anti-Malware , Windows Defender + other manual free scanners = the result was too slow computer and a trojan infection

23. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Well,

My father-in-law, an 80 year old, who has been an IT-er for all his working life at a large Dutch Multinational and now still teaches IT, XP, Vista, Windows7 and Office, intro PC at the Dutch SeniorWeb, allways had two AV's.

He knows a lot about IT and PC's (in fact has learned how to make Websites and programming in Visual C): he just makes them trust each other processes and makes sure one only checks process execution and the other checks web access (in general incoming data streams).

He used Avast free (incoming data streams) and Avira free (execution) together for quite some time now.

He can't be called someone who is unknowledgeable, more likely someone with excentric ideas on IT and security. He also has this installed on his wife's PC. I never heard her complain on something, so when configured well, I guess it is do-able.

24. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Kees I wish you could find his exact set up for these two av's and post it. That would be a nice combo I suspect.

25. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Two real-time antiviruses can be used without any problem/BSOD. I have used KIS 2011 CF1 (11.0.1.400a) along with Emsisoft Anti-Malware (5.0.0.84) for two weeks on Windows 7 x64. With tweaked settings and proper exclusions, it worked just fine. However, I will not recommend using two real-time antivirus except one of them is cloud antivirus like Prevx, ImmunetProtect, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.