Twister AV ?'s

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by 1000db, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

1.) I have been trying out Twister on a laptop of mine to see if I like it over my current AV. So far I like it alot and it has done well my limited (and unprofessional) testing. I would like to replace my current AV when its subscriptions runs out. Is their any reason I should stay away from Twister or filseclab?

2.) How solid is the self-protection of Twister?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

2. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

1. I see no reason why you should stay away from Twister. And AFAIK Filsecab has NO history whatsoever of engaging in underhanded tactics and/or malware practice.

2. I'm still testing it out :p . I will try if the program can be disabled using remote protocol access from another PC.

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

4. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

5. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I have been using TAV for about 1 month now along with PCT FW. I have to admit I like the combo = light & effective.

6. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

This is the most recent Twister thread (You will find answers to all possible questions):
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=226929&page=20

IMHO, you can get false positives and you must be in position to distinguish the real behaviour blocker alerts from the not real.

I think it's easy to terminate Twister... If i remember correctly there's some test done about it. But, it's unlikely that some malware will target Twister just yet. It's so unknown, that people don't know it. Version 8 will come out this summer with major upgrades. Maybe there will be a change in this too.

7. Fuzzfas

Yes, Twister runs very light, considering it has a behaviour blocking module and a registry monitor too. And it has lifetime license...

8. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

How are you determining that it is very light? I'm not seeing this myself, although the two processes, I think it was two, were showing minimal mem usage when looked at individually but overall total increase of system mem usage for me increases 100mb. If the two processes are using around 26mb then what is using the other 76mb? I never could figure out where the extra mem was being used although I did notice that when real-time protection was turn off most of the extra mem was reclaimed. It could have been a process added to svchost but I doin't recall it's mem being abnormally high. Any thoughts or tips are welcomed because I really liked this AV and was going to purchase it but have at this time uninstalled it. Thanks

9. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

http://Twistee.org , Is the English Twister support forum, Ask any questions you wish and we will help out ^_^

10. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I'll check it out.

11. Fuzzfas

I have one process (the Filseclab Messenger can be disabled). As for RAM behaviour on your PC, you should look your task manager, working set and private bytes. Personally, i could care less about RAM. I am interested in CPU Time. For most PCs today, the amount of RAM isn't an issue. People keep think of "light" only what's low on RAM, a remnant of the past, when PCs had 256 MB RAM.

12. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Messenger is useless and SHOULD be disabled. A good way to do so is by using Microsoft's free Autoruns.

After disabling the useless Messenger, Twister will have just 1 Task-Manager-visible process, using (after a few hours of run time) a skoshi more than 30MB of "Working Set" RAM (physical memory).

By way of comparison, a certain top-tier AV (I won't name it, but its initials are "A-Premium") has 3 visible processes (including its scheduler for auto updates) which together use a skoshi more than 11MB. However, A-Premium is strictly an antivirus whereas Twister is antivirus plus behavior blocker plus registry monitor.

I agree with Fuzzfas that CPU usage is a far better gauge of an application's actual impact on the real & perceived agility of one's computer. Run Twister for several hours then use Task Manager to take a look at Twister's cumulative CPU usage. I believe you will find Twister to be very light indeed.

I am a Twistee (fan of Twister). HOWEVER -- if someone is a game player (where computer agility is of the essence), and if that someone is also a high risk surfer (or paranoid) -- then I must say that (IMO) there are other (equal or better) choices in terms of max protection combined with minimum system impact.

13. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Twister is a good AV as far as I'm concerned. There are some new vendors who are trying to gain recognition by Western market, and it seems reasonable to conclude that if their products are not the best, then they shall put concerted effort in improving the quality of the priducts which they offer. Right now, I'm split between Twister and Rising RIS, and I travel all over the net with these. I keep Avira/Antivir Free around for on-demand, once-a-month scanning. No infection yet!

Dave

14. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I do play games but I am not really a high risk surfer. Du you know of twister interfering with games? In addition to Twister I will be using GeSWall Pro, which i like very much.

I have a total CPU TIme of 1:04:03 for about the last week including nightly scheduled scans and heavy web usage.

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Twister gets along well with games AFAIK. Before gaming, you probably should run at least one full scan using Twister, so as to minimize subsequent FPs.

GeS is good, but might be a teeny bit heavy for a game machine.

Good info. Thanks

16. Fuzzfas

I play games and Twister never gave me problems... It shouldn't interfere with online games either, because it has no web scanner, that could slow down your connection.

What does slow down on my PC, is defragmentation, because it scans the files that are being defragmented in real time. So, i disable the resident shield before i defrag and turn it on again afterwards.

17. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi,

I reported a conflict between GesWall and Twister realtime to Filseclab staff: when GS notifies for ressource isolation, my system seems to freeze for some seconds. Had an answer from Mr CHU that they will check it and fix it ASAP

Regards,

MaB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.