Turning old PCs into new Chromebooks

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Sep 28, 2018.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

2. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Excellent post! The Home version of this software is Free, and this conversion is also useful for newer laptops for which the components are not top-notch.

Although I didn't use this software to do so, I have converted 2 Dell laptops from Win10 to Chrome OS and so far both people assure me that they will name their first born after me (I'm flattered, but just hope they are not male...).

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I have an old Dell laptop, 4G RAM, running Vista that might be an ideal candidate. Unfortunately it's 2500 miles away, at home in New Mexico. We're in Maine with my wife's very elderly mother who can no longer care for herself. And none of that has any bearing on this thread.

I'll have to look into this OS and see if it will work with a laptop vintage 2007 or 2008.

4. wshrugged

wshrugged Registered Member

(bolded by me)
    If you can say how, how did you convert them?

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Just a hop & a skip to a real OS. That being Linux. Better than a garbage heap I guess.

6. Beyonder

Beyonder Registered Member

If only Ubuntu didn't take 5 minutes to boot on my 10 year old laptop, I'd consider it.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

There's a dozen or so Distros that take less than half the resources that Ubuntu does. Check Distrowatch.com

8. Beyonder

Beyonder Registered Member

What's the advantage over Chrome OS though? All I do on it is browse the internet and write in Google Docs.

9. guest

guest Guest

That the point, you don't need crappy badly coded soft, you don't have all the Windows useless processes allowing multitude of attacks, most of what you do is on cloud servers. Etc..

Chrome OS is what you need when you don't work. Chrome, Gmail, YouTube

10. wshrugged

wshrugged Registered Member

Thanks for the post, Ron. What @Beyonder and @guest said with an addition.....I'm not an alphabet user, they give me the heebie-jeebies, but someone who's close to me is attached to their eco system. She actually does get work done there (also collaborates), chiefly in google docs. I'm beholden to her so I have to finally spend some time researching this.

Her hardware isn't on the CloudReady supported devices list, but I'll figure it out––or else : -).

11. guest

guest Guest

Indeed, most of the companies I worked with uses Google's services to collaborate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.