Turning off Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ChrisFerro3, Jun 24, 2016.

1. ChrisFerro3

ChrisFerro3 Registered Member

I was wondering similar with Windows Server core editions, if turning off Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer could create a less of a attack surfice on workstation editions of Windows, I feel like I would like to improve Windows 10 at home doing this.

2. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

you can uninstall the UI of internet explorer, but you cant uninstall its components as long windows uses them

you cant uninstall or turn off explorer = desktop
    explorer is only another UI for the windows core components - you can also surf with explorer, but not that comfortable like IE.

but you can uninstall windows 10 if you dont like it :rolleyes:

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

If you will "turn off" Windows Explorer, which shell replacement will you use? Is it safer than Explorer? Or will you be using only command prompt?

4. ChrisFerro3

ChrisFerro3 Registered Member

Actually I was thinking of using command prompt when Windows boots up, I know this might sound weird but the Windows Explorers from Vista and XP works on Windows 10 and 8.1 though they are broken and can't do much.

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I doubt that using command prompt on workstations would be practical. Also, using Explorer from one (unsupported) OS version on another OS version is IMO looking for troubles.
    In this case of security vs. convenience, convenience wins.

6. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Sounds like Windows Nano Server is what you're after.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.