Turning Off To Install

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by SimonW, Nov 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimonW

SimonW Registered Member

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before - but I fail to see how PG can be really effective if (as recommended in the help file) I have to turn it off whilst installing new software. Isn't this just the time that something will 'sneak' into my PC?

Of course, trusted 'big name' apps direct from CD or web download should be fine, but what about the smaller apps and utilities often found to be really useful floating around the internet?

Or am I missing something obvious here??!

Thanks
    SimonW

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I'd take the help file as a recommendation rather than a requirement. If a program does not need to install a driver or service then you should be able to install it with PG enabled. Even if it does, what will most likely happen is an installation error message with a corresponding PG alert - you can then check the alert, grant the appropriate permission to the install program, rerun it and remove it afterwards from the PG Protection list. In my view, this is the most secure option.

There are also cases where a program will try to install a driver/service that is not needed - many games install one for their CD-check/copy protection which you do not need if you use patches or "fixed" files to allow you to play games without having to have the disc in your CD-drive.

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Simon, Yes in a way you are. ProcessGuard is like any other security software in that it is always best to install it on a "Clean" machine.
    In learning mode you can disable your connection to the Internet whilst installing ProcessGuard.
    Run all your security apps & net enabled programs, OK so you will not make a connection but PG will still have caught the processes, You could also allow a connection provided you only go to a Trusted site. AOL comes to mind here as it does have to connect for some of it's processes to run.
    Then enable the general tabs you require and reboot. One final boot will disable Learning mode and this will have allowed protection list programs to have correct allows.
    There is no need to disable PG for most higher level programs but some windows patches and low level programs that integrate deeply into the system may require you to either put PG in learning mode or disable protection.
    I recently installed Giant Anti-Spyware & a major Office update with ProcessGuard running with no problems albeit execution protection did require me to give permissions for the programs to be installed.
    Just ensure that you scan downloaded programs from the net etc. with your AV and AT.

HTH Pilli

4. SimonW

SimonW Registered Member

So, what you're suggesting is once PG has been trained, basically leave it on and then just answer any pop-ups as required when installing / running new apps :)

Thanks for the help!

SimonW

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Simon wrote
    Yes, using the normal precautions with regards to trusted and tested programs, also with one eye on the alerts log.
    I have found that once fully trained ProcessGuard is not very intrusive, update permiisions for things like DCSmutex & AV updates being the most common. Obviously if you are a user that is always adding or changing programs then this might become a bit of a PITA but then so would any other sandbox type application.

Pilli :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  6. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

The helpfile has actually changed slightly now for this regard. Now it says to turn on learning mode when installing programs, but to disable when installing service packs or operating system upgrades.

7. SimonW

SimonW Registered Member

Thankyou for the help
    Simon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.