Turning off NAT

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by axman666, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axman666

axman666 Registered Member

Hello, for a long while now, maybe 4 years, i have been running around the internet and its games with a problem, my router would always slow me down or stop me stone cold in games mostly. Now the internet problem is fixed, all i need is the game problem to be fixed, i would like to turn off my NAT so that i can once and for all be able to play games in a normal way, im not too worried about security so i don't mind, and i have been trying to do this for a few months now so i would really like you guys to help me out on this.

Now in the past times I have actually managed to turn off NAT, but this caused my internet connection to somehow stop working, so even with it turned off, i could do nothing, what i want to ask of you is, how can i turn off my NAT and still have my internet with me?

here is my router info:

NEOTOPIA 3347W-ENT ADSL Wireless Router

I would be very happy if you guys could help me out, there are so many online games i want to play that i can't, thank you for hearing me out :D

2. wantsprotection

wantsprotection Registered Member

Disabling NAT is probably a mistake. Most networks use NAT. Most NAT routers support Internet gaming if you configure them correctly. Check out this page: http://www.u.arizona.edu/~trw/games/nat.htm
    NAT's not (primarily) a security feature. It allows multiple network-layer devices such as routers, computers, and IP phones to share a single IP address.
    Let me understand this correctly: Your ISP assigned you one IP address. You have a router and a computer (two network-layer devices). You turned off the feature that allowed two devices to share the single IP address and things stopped working?? How shocking. ;)
    Now that we've looked at the challenges, we can discuss how to run without NAT.

1. Limit yourself to one network-layer device. This means only one computer on your home network at a time. It also means replacing your router with something like this: http://www.provantage.com/linksys-befcmu10~7LNKS158.htm

2. Buy more IP addresses. Many ISPs sell 5-packs of IP addresses for something like an extra $20/month.

3. axman666

What would buying more IP addresses do? And fill me in on how i can would go about doing that

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  4. wantsprotection

It would allow you to disable NAT and have more than one computer online at a time. You would assign each computer its own IP address.

5. wantsprotection

Call your ISP, tell them how many IP addresses you want, and ask about pricing. I would plan for one IP per computer and two IPs for your router. After this is setup, your LAN computers will have public IPs instead of private (usually 192.168.x.x) IPs--that's the main change.

6. axman666

So 3 IPs in all? and how would say, a xbox360 come into all this, if i want to plug it in with the router and the computer?

7. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I guess I am at a loss as to why you would want to disable NAT and then pay for extra IP addresses. With the money that you would spend per year for multiple IP addresses you could easily afford a new router with better feature support.
    There is also a plethora of information on setting up these routers:
    http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/3347went.html
    You may also want to make sure you have the latest firmware versions etc.
    I know this is not what you asked for but, atleast to me it sounds more logical

8. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Disabling NAT may mean a loss of functionality. As likuidkewl said, ask if you need the latest firmware. Just sounds like configuration.

9. axman666

Well then, whats a good router for this kinds of things? one that wont screw with my connections?

10. wantsprotection

Most NAT routers purchased in the past five years or so should support online gaming. I can vouch for Motorola and Linksys (except the wireless models).

They all will "screw with your connections" unless you configure them right. Here are those configuration links again:
    http://www.u.arizona.edu/~trw/games/nat.htm
    http://www.netopia.com/support/hardware/3347went.html

If you hate configuring NAT and only have one computer, switching from a router to a modem ($60 or so) really makes sense. No need for NAT.

If you hate configuring NAT and have more than one computer, multiple IPs ($20/month) is one option. Another is to pay a network technician ($150 or so) to configure your NAT router correctly for online games.
    I totally agree. It takes less than an hour to configure port forwarding correctly, faster once you know what you're doing. That's why I said in the beginning, "Disabling NAT is probably a mistake." Consider again configuring a NAT router properly.
    To clarify, this is true if he doesn't follow the rules I laid out. There's no loss of functionality if he has only one network-layer device, or if he buys public IPs for each of his network-layer devices. The Internet existed long before NAT. :)

11. axman666

Sorry guys but im going to have to go with the extra IPs, do i ask for one or two or three? all i have is one comp and a xbox360.

12. herbalist

herbalist Guest

13. wantsprotection

Due to some IP address assignment technicalities, ISPs generally sell static IP addresses in packs of 1, 5, or 13. A 5-pack is fine for your purposes.

14. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

That's what I am currently doing in a different way. I have Cable ISP and I have Telephone Co. DSL ISP. Less chance of down time and two I.P. addresses for less then the extra $20 it would cost to have one that needs to be shared and no wireless security issues at all to be concerned about. Wireless is disabled on my owned DSL Router for now. ;)

15. axman666

So once i get the extra IPs what happens? does everything get fixed like magic or do i have to go swashbuckling inside my router?

16. wantsprotection

:: Erased a diagram of one way to hook it up. :::

17. axman666

My router seems to be my modem, does that matter at all? and what do you mean by switch?

18. wantsprotection

I won't have time to explain further--most ISPs have a technical support team to help you setup what you need. The implementation details will vary based on your ISP, so they're the best ones to answer. Good luck.

19. axman666

Thanks, sorry for all the questions.

20. wantsprotection

axman666, glad we could help, we all have some answers and seek some others. I'm a (carrier/isp) networking expert who stopped by this forum for a week to update my knowledge on personal security software and it's been illuminating. I'm heading out now--best of luck on your project!

21. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Axman,
    Yes, your router is also your modem in this instance.
    Your 3347 is set up similar to the 3341 previously supplied by my ISP, except for the wireless. If you follow the instructions for setting up a default NAT host, you will be able to receive incoming traffic some games require. This looks to be your easiest option.

On the 2nd link I posted, towards the bottom is a link that explains how to back up your present configuration. If you're concerned about messing up the settings, do that first. I was a bit intimidated the first time I worked with one too, but if you make certain that you can get back into the modem and have a functional backup, it's not that bad. Also read up on setting it back to factory settings on the 2nd link, towards the bottom. If you take your time and study the links while looking over the modems interfaces, it will make sense.
    Rick

22. axman666

i have actually tried that, im not sure if im using the right IP, how can i tell if its fixed anything?

23. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    What firewall option to you have the Netopia set on? There is a choice of what firewall level....look for Clear Sailing.

I've run quite a few Netopia routers on my home LAN...I NEVER had a problem with games.

I'd never allow any computer of my to not be behind NAT either...stick your PC on a public IP address for just 2 or 3 minutes and I'd want to format it due to being infested.

24. axman666

yup, have it on clearsailing.

25. herbalist

herbalist Guest

If you have a software firewall that can be set to alert when hit with a port scan, enable that feature and scan your IP at Shields Up. If your modem is allowing inbound traffic to pass, your software firewall should see it. Some apps like P2Ps and instant messenger programs open specific ports for inbound traffic. A port scan should show them if your modem is set properly and you scan the correct port(s).
    Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.