Turning Off DNS Cache & Flush?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DasFox, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I was wondering, is there any security benefits to be gained by turning off the DNS cache?

Also when changing the Pri & Sec dns in the adapters and then flushing the dns, is just flushing the dns good enough, or should you also reboot to make sure the changes in the adapters have taken place properly?

THANKS

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

None, unless you mean privacy.

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Yes of course I mean Privacy as well, this is the Privacy section of the forum... :)

What I don't understand, since I've not dug much into all this dns stuff is that I just visit a few sites then run; ipconfig /displaydns and I see many dns entries, way more then the sites I visited and some really odd names too...

So what is with all the strange names for dns that showup, that you've never visited before, could this be a type of dns poison?

THANKS

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

I don't have DNS Cache :D

cmd-dns.gif

If you want to disable it.

Go to Administrative Tools/Services/DNS Client select Disabled

Also

This applies to XP, so you'll need to see how things may differ if you have another OS.

You "might" want to look at changing the settings for both Pos & Neg

Plus

5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if we block these DNS requests, disable the cache, then are we making for a more strong/secure scenario on a computer, not a server?

Or for the computer user, having these DNS entries in the cache, poses no security threat? It more a matter of privacy if someone wants to look at the dns list?

THANKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.