Turning Nod32 off completely?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Rilla927, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

No, I have never run two AV's at the same time. The examples given were seperate instances.

I think a 1gig of ram is enough for now.

Just because you have never seen it before doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

If I could I would. Like I said, I haven't had it installed in a while that's why I figured I would get the heads up with my question first. I don't understand why some of you are in such disbelief. Not all softwares out there get a long 100%.

True.

:D

2. Rilla927

That's pretty funny, if it's malware then how come as soon as I disabled the AV it installed fine.

3. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Was this a while ago then, because i have Audigy2 installed last week,
    meself without any problem ..

And install nVidia drivers on a regular basis, never saw a problem.
    To be honest, i am not sure if i ever have installed version 91.31

But the problem was never reported to me.

If you search on "Audigy2" here in Wilders in the NOD32 forum you will also find none

So it can well be that there was something else causing the problem.
    Otherwise it must be reproducable.
    And LOTS of people should have had the same problems.
    The products are certainly not rare.

btw..
    The nod32 faq / support website is in Dutch, and i see about 50 questions about NOD32 a day, 7 days a week.

You are totally correct here, it is interresting to see, if someone is able to reproduce this problem, what the setup of his system is.

But on the other hand, if you would install a fresh os, Windows,
    NOD32 and then the things mentioned, i really can't believe you would find a problem.

4. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

I ment no disrespect. Just never had a conflict as you describe. The only negative I have experienced is a slow down in the unpacking of the installer. But then again I guess that is to be expected sense the AV is doing it`s job of scanning. ;)

5. Rilla927

I'm sorry ThunderZ,

that comment wasn't meant towards you;) What you said about the AV doing it's job, I agree.

The first time I tried to install Adobe Photoshop, no go. So I called Adobe and had them on the phone for almost an hour and we could not get that program to install. Finally, we gave up and they never asked me if I had my AV on or not. I didn't know any better that it could interfere. I was so frustrated for what I paid for this program and we couldn't get it installed. I walked away from the computer until the next day.

When I sat down the next day I was trying to think of what could be the culprit. It dawned on me that all programs were running including the AV. I remembered an article I read on the net that sometimes AV's will interfere with installations. I disabled the AV only just to see and the program installed. At that given time it was Nod or Kaspersky I had installed but I don't remember exactly which.

Omnipage Pro and Paperport would not install with AV on nor the updates to the programs. So I would d/l the updates first and then shut all programs down (when I say all programs I mean the internet too of course) so it could have the access it needed to do what it needed to do. If the AV was on I got nothing but errors and it would refuse to install. The same with Jasc.

So I learned when they say, "close all programs recommended" that's why.

I just don't understand why some folks wouldn't trust the vendors that they already paid there money to for the programs that they have on their computer. If they distrust them that much then why did they buy the software in the first place. I don't think all your major hardware and software vendors are going to giving out Trojans anytime soon.

I think some are looking at this as trust issue only instead of understanding the software installation conflict.

I will give you a perfect example just reversed.

You know all the horror stories you have heard about ZASS messing up all these peoples computers. Since I have used it I have never had one problem with it what so ever and I mean none, but that doesn't mean it can't happen to others. It agrees with my system

6. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

March 15 of this year. As I already posted, I made detailed logs during the clean install.

It is the current driver available at nVidia and I just tried it today.

So what? Consider it reported by two people now.
    I am merely relaying my experience. Take it or leave it, I could care less.

Really, I just searched, and I found two people in the NOD32 forum who have had similar problems, in fact they are in this very thread! :D
    As I have posted, this is not necessarily NOD specific. Other AV may have similar problems with hardware driver install conflicts. And they may not be wide spread.

It is possible there was something else causing the problem.
    It is also possible that the something else causes the problem only when combined with NOD32 active.
    At least I consider other possibilities.

Not necessarily, sometimes problems are intermittant. And just because you can not reproduce it on your computer and haven't seen the problem before does not mean the problem does not exist on our computers. Sometimes people solve the problems by themselves and don't mention it.

Again, not so. There are so many possible combinations of motherboards, BIOS firmware versions, add in cards, drivers, and software, that it is possible that few people have exactly the same combination. Strange problems can sometimes be resolved by just updating the motherboard BIOS or changing one element in the mix.

Sorry, the site was not in English, so I did not study the site long enough.
    Now that's a lot of questions!

So from your answer, I take it you are a NOD reseller.
    Nothing wrong with that, it's just good to know all the facts.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I also never turn off Nod32 when I install new programs, and I've never had any problems (the download site might be legit, but could be hacked and therefore it is better to check it first).

That doesn't mean that Rilla is imagining things: Nowadays security configurations are so complex and interacting that is almost a miracle so many systems work flawlessly.

The only instance whereby I disable Amon is when I'm backingup my system with Acronis: I disconnect from the internet and disable all the resident security programs.

8. Rilla927

Amen! Someone understands what I have been saying:)

I don't know if between the Raid and WinPromise FastTrack have anything to do with this. One thing I do know, I would never own anything with WinPromise FastTrack ever again.

9. Devinco

Hi Osaban,

What happens if you leave AMON enabled when backing up your system with Acronis?

10. XB Hardtop 351

XB Hardtop 351 Registered Member

OK OK!!!
    I think everyone is getting a little upset over this issue. Your average whitebox PC today is comprised of many different components of which there can be many different revisions. This means that it would be hard to find any PC which is identical to any other PC. Installation of hardware/software can be affected in many different ways by what is already installed in the system. The original post just asked how to switch off NOD for the installation of new software. What is wrong with that! After building thousands of PC's over the years, I have adopted certain procedures, which some may be unnecessary to get the specific job done, but save me time over the long run as I minimise problems and errors. Some people may never run into issues doing instals with AV active, but some will. It is the personal choice of whomever is doing the job. If the driver or other software is downloaded from a reputable source and it is scanned beforehand, it should be safe to instal with the AV off. The original post had a raid array die, which luckily, was backed up. Imagine how his future instals must make him feel after having that happen.

Finally, the main point from this thread to note is to back up crucial data. Do not expect any AV to be the ultimate protection of your data or system. Also back ups are subject to failure as one company I worked for found out as a weeks worth of daily tape backups were corrupted one by one before they found the problem. They then had to hand enter a weeks worth of data back into the system.

Note: I turn off my AV through msconfig when I want and turn it back when it is needed. To each, his own.....

11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

And this is NOT recommended.

Just to be really clear, for all circumstances, LEAVE NOD32 running; it can not protect you if it is off.

ONLY turn it off if advised to by a NOD32 Support.

Ignore the advice of anyone that says you should turn it off, as stated NOD32 can NOT protect you if it is off or uninstalled.

Blackspear.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It's a good question, and honestly I don't know because I haven't tried. The reason I do it (or used to do it) is that I was backing up within Windows and after validating the backup (successfully) my OS would either freeze or produce a BSOD. Acronis after analysing my system they declared solemnly that NOD32 drivers were conflicting with ATI and therefore they advised not only to disable but to uninstall NOD.

Half of the posters at Wilders use NOD and ATI, and nobody has ever complained about conflicts between the two, so with all respect to the Acronis support I couldn't believe it, let alone dump NOD because of ATI!

As it were PG was the real culprit. To make along story short, I decided to keep everything and to back up with everything disabled to avoid problems.
    I've tried to restore with the Acronis bootable CD (outside Windows) and it works perfectly. Sorry if this has gone a bit off topic.

13. Devinco

Maybe you could add the Acronis folder to AMON's exclude list and try it again. This would be after you make a current backup in the tested proven way that you know works.

A while ago I had problems with a speech synthesis component using almost 100% CPU until I added it to the AMON exclude list.
    You can start with the whole folder first then later try to narrow it down to the specific component that is conflicting.

As you said, it may be PG adding to the issue or even causing it.
    Maybe a component of Acronis is not getting the priviledges it needs? Install driver/service? Access Physical Memory? Global Hooks?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  14. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I trust you let them know or posted back in follow up :)

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi Devinco,

Talking to you has been a real Godsend: I followed your advice and excluded the Acronis folder to Amon's list, and gave all the PG privileges to any Acronis exe that I could find.

I validated my backup folder with EVERYTHING RUNNING and MIRACLE: No freezing or BSOD!

The great thing at Wilders is that talking to people about certain issues, might solve others which were apparently unrelated.

Thank you very much indeed!

16. Rilla927

Glad to hear:)

17. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Sometimes it is good to go a bit off-topic :D

18. Devinco

That's great you got it working Osaban! :thumb:

Your posts are on topic until you can remove NOD as part of the problem.

19. voodoochopstiks

voodoochopstiks Registered Member

I'd like to return on topic, I didn't see anyone give a definitive answer whether or not you can actually turn off NOD32 completely. I went in and unchecked the boxes for the kernel and GUI from the services/startup tab under msconfig, but the issues still remained(having trouble in the lobby of the public beta of the multiplayer game Company of Heroes). It seems they list NOD32 support as very itchy and not recommended, so I'd like to disable NOD32 FULLY, is there any option for this? I guess I could uninstall but I don't feel like doing something which is such a major hassle just to test a possible explanation for things not working. Please don't go offtopic again, just a YES(and if so, how?) or NO will do fine :D

20. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I think the answer was given .

To stop the service which is the most general stop , goto Control Panel -> Admin tools -> Services and find NOD32 service . Set it to manual and reboot .

Don't forget to turn it back to Automatic when you need to .
    When you have it working , nodkrn.exe (system) and nodkui.exe (username) should be listed in TaskManager

Hope this helps !

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2006
  21. pykko

pykko Registered Member

voodoochopstiks (OMG, what a big nickname :D ), if unthicking nod32kui under msconfig/startup and setting NOD32 Kernel Service from under Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services to Disabled doesn't work there isn't other solution.
    Remmember to restart after making these changes. :)

22. NOD32 user

What you have said is true pykko, but voodoochopstiks please see Blackspear's post #36 above since no one here is recommending you actually do this.

Cheers :)

23. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I fully support and stay behind Blackspear's post 36 about always leaving NOD32 enabled .

However , voodoochopstiks insisted to know how to have the protection disabled :)

24. NOD32 user

I'm just a member here like so many others and have zero issue with seeing the question asked or answered, but another 'how do I turn it off?' question and answer to me seems worthy of another mention of 'This we do not recommend.' to go with it.

Cheers :)

25. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Oh , it seems you haven't understood me .

With the sentence I begin
    I mean that the answer was given or in other words , a Moderator have said that it is not recommended to do so :) :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.