Turning Nod32 off completely?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Rilla927, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi gang,

My question is in regards to turning Nod32 off completely for the purpose of installing new drivers and softwares apps.

I don't have it installed at the moment but I want to reinstall it. From what I remember from having it installed before the only way to turn it off would be through Administrative Tools and disable the Nod32 service. Just wondering if there was another way?

Thanks

Rilla927

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

why do u need to turn off nod32 when installing new apps? i dont and it goes fine.

also u can just disable AMON temorarily. if u want to completely disable AMON, you have to first check the following option to let u disable it:

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/5472/amonjk4.jpg

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Was wondering the same thing. I know most installers suggest that you do.......sort of defeats the purpose of an AV. Never have myself and never had a problem either.

4. Rilla927

@WSFuser, ThunderZ

WSFuser thanks for the image.

I have ran into various programs that didn't install right because of an AV being on. The second time around installing I would turn AV off then they would install fine. It's usually programs like my Imaging, Adobe Photoshop, Jasc Paint shop Pro, and some others. Even when I would try to do the updates to these programs an error message window would come up due to the AV being on. Now in this case I download the update to my computer and shut everything down and then do the update from my computer rather than from the internet. I noticed I can't do an image at all if AV is on. Once I turned it off it worked like a charm.

As rule of thumb from my experiences I would rather just turn it off so there is no interference or a second install with all trusted software so therefore I'm not worried about the AV catching anything. I don't install anything that isn't trusted from the start.

Thanks again,
    Rilla927

5. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

That is the key. Sounds like you should be fine. Also thanks for the heads up on the different programs that may have problems with installing while the AV is on. Plan on starting to play with graphics using some of those very same programs. May I ask which AV you are using out of curiosity?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2006
  6. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Hi Rilla927,

Just wondering, have you tried this with NOD32 or was it another AV you used to use?
    Blackspear and I were helping somebody else with a similar question recently here. We both agreed that between us we are yet to find a situation where it was necessary with NOD32.

Cheers :)

7. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

I had a clean install on a system that had all the NOD32 scanners active and I ran the Creative Labs Audigy2 sound card install.
    It caused a hard crash and on reboot and the RAID 0 array had one of the drives disassociated from the array. Fortunately, I was able to add the drive back to the array and continue.
    Not wanting to deal with possible OS corruption issues, I restored the OS partition from a backup. I disabled all NOD32 scanners and the sound card install went smoothly.
    Scan the hardware driver/software downloads first, but make sure you deactivate the resident scanners before you install major hardware drivers/software like video cards and sound cards.

8. NOD32 user

I won't try and say it's impossible and while I also realise that there would be some who could perhaps give similar accounts, this is far from being common or normal in my own personal experience.

Still, do as you wish since it's your perogative to do as you will.

My advice is don't disable NOD32 unless you have found a specific issue on your own system setup, then if you do find it's necessary, report that issue in detail to ESET so that they can be aware and consider it.

9. Devinco

It's been advised for years from video card manufacturers to deactivate your memory resident anti-virus during a video card software install/upgrade.
    Maybe NOD is different and can be left resident, but why chance it? It is really simple to scan the new hardware drivers, deactivate the active scanners, install the drivers, and then reactivate the scanners. If you forget to reenable the scanners, the Windows Security Center will remind you.

This particular system was a clean OS install with no other security software than NOD32. The chipset, video card (Matrox), and other hardware items install went smoothly with NOD scanners enabled. It was surprising seeing how the video card didn't have a problem and that the sound card install would cause such a crash with NOD32 scanners enabled.
    I made detailed written logs of the install sequence, so it is not just from memory.

I'll say having a RAID 0 array break during a sound card install is definitely a system specific issue.
    I'm just glad I had a backup.

In the past (pre Windows XP) I have experienced video card driver installation problems with memory resident anti-virus enabled. Since XP, I've always installed the hardware drivers from trusted sources first then install security software. This particular time, I scanned the downloaded drivers first but left the AV enabled and that's what happened.
    Your mileage may vary.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi

unless i needed to uninstall my av it never goes off i just dont ever think of turning it off because i have a always on internet connection so i would have to pull the plug on it then install

11. Devinco

I should add that the system was behind a hardware firewall and had the Windows Firewall active at the time. Having a firewall (Hardware, Software, or at least NAT Router) is more important if you are connected to the internet than even an anti-virus.

12. NOD32 user

Me too :)
    IMHO everybody should have backups of anything they would miss.

13. nameless

nameless Registered Member

On my current Windows XP install, which is almost four years old (i.e. four years since I installed it), I've installed around 2,000 applications. (Most of these have, of course, been removed.) I know this because I have always saved a Total Uninstall log whenever I install an application. I've installed everything from VMware Workstation to Virtual PC to Paint Shop Pro (multiple versions), and I don't remember even once where an installation got botched because of an AV that was running.

The only time I disable NOD32 is when I install updates to Windows, and even then, I very much doubt it would matter. I don't mind disabling NOD32 for Windows updates, though, because I know Eset won't detect Microsoft's intrustionware anyway (i.e. WGA notifications, and whatever other nefarious crap they have in store for us).

Disable the AV for installs? Only install what you trust? Give me a break, please. You would think you can trust Windows updates, but if you had WGA notifications delivered to your door, or obtained it on Microsoft/Windows Update, you'd be wrong. Or what about that Sony rootkit debacle? Did any of the victims of that not trust their music CD? Did you know that Alcohol 120% and some similar applications install rootkit-type drivers? The fact that your AV most likely won't detect any of these is completely beside the point.

14. Devinco

Didn't know that about Alcohol 120%. Thanks Nameless.
    I was referring only to major hardware driver installs.
    If you can't trust your hardware manufacturer, then your goose is cooked anyway. I believe it was nVidia that was recommending turning off AV during install.
    Actually, doing a backup before a major hardware driver install/upgrade would do more to protect your system than either turning off the AV or using Total Uninstall.

Never had any problems with NOD32 on during Windows Updates.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  15. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Well, I had installed plenty of programs on my computer (including CorelDraw, Photoshop, MAcromedia Suite, etc, etc) and I had my NOD32 AMON enabled. Everything worked just fine. ;)

The fault was of your ex-AV not of these programs. :)

16. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

I've never had a problem with NOD being active and installing software either, even security software like firewall etc.

17. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Quic question here, is that version of NOD32 a MAC version, looks like it. I'm refering to the one your've pasted in this question to this forum.

18. Devinco

I also have never had a problem with NOD being active during a regular software install.
    The only times I had problems with an Anti-Virus being active (not just NOD, ANY anti-virus) was during a major hardware driver install (like video cards and sound cards). This is not NOD specific.

In fact, today on a totally different XP Pro SP2 fully patched system, I left NOD32 active and installed the latest nVidia drivers (v91.31). Guess what happened. Desktop loads, system tray icons started loading, and just before when the NOD tray icon would normally appear, crash reboot. After reboot, same thing, crash reboot. This time last known good configuration, crash reboot. Boot into safe mode, rollback driver, shutdown, restart, problem gone.

Now I try again, this time with all active NOD32 scanners turned off. Install goes fine as before, reboot, NO PROBLEM. Turn on scanners, all done.
    The only variable that changed was NOD32 AMON, IMON, DMON, and EMON being deactivated during the video card driver install.

Coincidence? I don't think so.

Hey, I think NOD is great.
    Maybe I am the only one to ever have experienced these happenings (I don't believe it).
    All I'm saying is before you do a major hardware driver install or upgrade (like a video card or sound card not just regular programs) you should backup. Windows can still be fragile when it comes to hardware drivers.
    It's just common sense.

Note: nVidia no longer warns about anti-virus being active during install in their current drivers.

19. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I never had a problem with NOD32 and installing any type of appy, if you shut it off and download a file with a trojan in it you would not know it. Untill you turned the AV on and did a scan.

20. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

I heared a lot of myths the last 20 years,
    but disable nod32 FOR an install is unwise and unneeded.

All the graphics programs you have mentioned all Adobe programs
    all Macromedia and all Corel (also the previous Jasc programs)
    can be installed without any problem.

I think you can better ENABLE your NOD32 before installing software.

If you have a problem, it is because software is illegal or contains malware.

Please let me know which current malware-free Program can't be installed
    with NOD32 running.

Because there are none.

Yes, i know...
    There are a few programs that use special kind of network techniques
    on winsock-level, which can be seen as malware by NOD32's IMON.
    But those can be excluded in IMON easy.

Advising people to disable their AV in general when installing,
    is helping people into trouble and can be seen as a HOAX.

21. Rilla927

I have been using ZASS for the six months. I love everything about the suite except for the AV, it's crap.

I had purchased various AV/ FW Suites and stand alones. It's taken me some time to find what I really liked amongst these combinations. The problem is I haven't found a suite where I like everything in it. So I decided to reinstall Nod32 and pair it up with ZA FW.

I purchased Nod in Sept or Oct of 2005 (a two year license).

Back when I had Nod installed I did have some problems with installations but I don't remember what programs they were because it's been to long ago.

Back a few years ago when I had TrendMicro Suite, Norton installed I had problems with certain programs installing. When I had Kav Suite installed the same thing.

I don't fault the software or look at it negatively, that's just the way it is with softwares and certain systems. Not every system will react the same to these issues.

I have realized through my experience for me anyway, it's better for me to just shut everything down (including the internet of course) so I don't encounter any problems and I don't have a problem doing that.

I remember the first time I had to update my Nvidia, Creatives Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS Pro and didn't know any better to turn the AV off. What a disaster with both.

It's too bad some of you posters have to react so defensively. What may work for you may not work for everyone else.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  22. tuatara

Where you running 2 or more AV's at the same time perhaps?,
    because that is asking for trouble.

Perhaps if you are running a very resource-hungry AV
    (no i will not mention names) your pc might run out of memory.

But even with the hardware mentioned i have never seen this problems
    certainly not with NOD32, or with Kaspersky.

As you can see in my signature, i have some experience with NOD32
    in the thousands of questions/problems i have answered this year only
    i have never heard this before.

So again, be specific, give me one example of a REGULAR program
    which can not be installed when you have NOD32 running.
    (And which is not a AV of course).

In fact if anyone can, i like to hear which program,
    because your are never to old to learn.

:D

And if nobody can give such an example, better have your NOD32 running
    (or other AV) when installing software,
    because there are THOUSANDS of malware that can infect your pc,
    when you install software with a disabled AV

23. tuatara

btw

Even in the worst case scenario, if a program would not install with a AV
    running , and you are CONVINCED that it doesn't contain malware.

You can always disable your AV then, when you find this out.
    and have the AV protect you for the thousands other cases mentioned above.

24. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

nah. but the Tiger 2 skin for WindowBlinds is convincing, isnt it? :D kol is very good at making skins.

25. Devinco

So then it is impossible for there to be compatibility issues with clean legit software?

Because you say there are none or have not seen any, does not make it so.
    While they are not "regular" programs (they are hardware driver install programs), the Audigy2 original CD install and the current nVidia driver install 91.31 caused problems while NOD32 was enabled. These were obtained directly from the manufacturer.

I agree, in general. Better advice is to leave AV enabled but make a backup before installing major hardware drivers. Scan the drivers before install. If there is a problem, you can restore and try again. Maybe the conflict is with some other hardware or software, maybe the conflict is with the AV. If the problem can be narrowed down to the anti-virus, only then consider disabling it for the hardware driver install. The majority of people may never have any compatibilty problems leaving the AV enabled during a hardware install, but sometimes the right combo of motherboard, add in cards, drivers, and software comes together to make your day fun.

Are those your websites?
    Are you a NOD32 reseller or affiliate?
    I couldn't tell from looking, one site is in German and the other appears to be a store offering NOD32.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.