turning ads off in gmail?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Feb 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Where is the setting to turn off ads in gmail? In settings, I see where I can opt out of personal ads and where to disable web clips. But I don't see where I can turn off ads completely, although I see posts where people claim they can turn gmail ads off.

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Actually, you can turn off some of the ads in GMail, but in order to turn them off completely you will need to use a plugin like AdBlock Plus for Firefox (or the equivalent for other browsers).

3. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

You can also block specific ads so they don't reoccur, by opting back in, and blocking the ads that you'll see listed.

4. acr1965

where is the setting to turn some of the ads off?

5. acr1965

no idea what you mean...are you talking about opting in and getting replacement ads?

6. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

Yes, about opting in. If you've opted out for ads, you'll still see ads that Google deems relevant. If you opt back in, you'll see a list of ads that have been displayed. Next to each entry, you'll see an option to block that ad. Theoretically, you'll see less ads if you remain opted in, as you'll be able to keep blocking more ads. I say it's a pain in the butt, and I've learned to ignore the ads, but it is a way to at least decrease the ads over time.

7. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.