Turn off, turn on: Simple step can thwart top phone hackers

Discussion in 'mobile device security' started by ronjor, Jul 28, 2021.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

ALAN SUDERMAN, Associated Press July 28, 2021

2. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I turn off my phone every night and turn it back on the next morning. I didn't know that this can thwart phone hackers' plans.:)

3. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Note that this is not a foolproof remedy:
    Want to Thwart Hackers From Stealing Information From Your Phone? Just Restart It, Says US Senator

• “Adversaries came to the realisation they don't need to persist,” Wardle said. “If they could do a one-time pull and exfiltrate all your chat messages and your contact and your passwords, it's almost game over anyways, right?”
    • "With such a powerful tool at their disposal, Marczak said rebooting your phone won't do much to stop determined hackers. Once you reboot, they could simply send another zero-click."
    • "Regularly rebooting phones won't stop the army of cybercriminals or spy-for-hire firms that have sowed chaos and doubt about the ability to keep any information safe and private in our digital lives. But it can make even the most sophisticated hackers work harder to maintain access and steal data from a phone."
    -rich

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Years ago the ONLY way to throw off your wireless handset being tampered was to yank the battery and make it dead.

That was way back then. Now days they are way more likely to have every trick available to them up their sleeve to flash sweep those devices which saves them time & snagged data of a phone user long before they ever knew what just ran thru it. Aka: Powerful Tools as @Rmus points out. That and more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.