Tunelling between two computers

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by djg05, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Not sure where I am going with this or if this is the correct part of Wilders but perhaps it will be moved if appropriate.

I am just trying out Synergy to control two computers with one mouse and keyboard. I have set it up ok but have read that there is no security in the transmission between the two computers. Firstly I don't know how much of a risk this is and secondly have no idea how to make it secure. I have read that tunelling will achieve this but again know nothing about it.

I am running 2k on both machines and they are connected on the LAN via a Netgear DG834 router.

Advice please.

2. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Is the LAN a private one belongong to you, such as a home network, or is it an office LAN with many other users? If it's a private LAN, then there's no risk involved, but if you're concerned about other people on an office LAN getting hold of your private data, then you could probably set up a secure tunnel with something like Hamachi (www.hamachi.cc).

3. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks

The former - just a home network but from what I understood there is still a possibility of keyloggers snooping on the traffic or does PG on both eliminate that?

4. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

I think you have a mistaken idea of the possible vulnerabilities of such a system. If the entire setup (Synergy server and all remote Synergy clients) is within your home LAN, behind your router, then none of the Synergy traffic will be visible to anyone outside the LAN, so in that respect, there is no risk. However, if one or more of the computers has a key logger, then that is a vulnerability but encryption between Synergy server and clients won't help in that case. The only way to safeguard against that is to ensure you have sufficient security to minimise the risk of getting a key logger infiltrating the system. If you have PG on both PCs, then you're pretty well protected, along with the usual AV and other typical protection.

I don't feel that Synergy is a factor in making the system any more vulnerable in this instance than if you had dedicated keyboards and mice at both PCs, so "normal" protection against the "normal" risks will suffice.

5. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Ok - thanks. Got that straight now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.