Tune up utilities 2004...free PM

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Labrie, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

hi guys! i have a question about Tuneup utilities 2004...well this program gives the option to free physical memory....is it worthy to use it? what are the benefits that i could get?

Tx for your appreciated help.

;)

2. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Come on security dudes! Wake up!

;)

3. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Tried similar thing on "TweakXP Pro".....didn't seem to make much difference.
    Cheers,
    Buck.

4. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

hi again Big! yup thats what i think too...actually i dont really think if is really working...well hehe it does...i manually set free 400 mb of physical memory and my system crashed. lol

;)

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yes, the TuneUP Utilities have that feature...

You can see the features, here ;)

6. bch

bch Registered Member

Labrie.

If you are running XP then a memory optimisation programme is not required. There is a case for such a programme if you are running 98 or ME but, then again, some will argue that free ram is wasted ram.

Whatever operating system you have, if you are running short of memory the best thing is to buy some more RAM.

TuneUpUtilities 2004 is a very good programme with lots of other features so don't let me put you off getting it.

7. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Why is that? I seem to recall coming across an explanation somewhere, but promptly forgot it.

Another TuneUp Utilities fan here :cool:

8. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

thats a good point why not xp? if not necesary i will turn it off...but why not necesary? I liked a lot this program too.

;)

9. bch

bch Registered Member

10. Labrie

Labrie Registered Member

Tx a lot, great article...now im sure about not using free physical memory.

;)

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I've had mixed feelings about those programs. XP does handle memory pretty well (especially SP2 since there was a flaw in SP1 with how memory was handled, see HERE for details, scroll down to SP1 Slowdown Hotfix), but sometimes I come back to the computer in the morning to find that my memory is filled up, and rather than going faster by having everything loaded in memory things end up 'competing' and slowing down when responding. Using the memory 'defrag' utilities give mixed results, but the two programs I've found to be really worth it are Application Warp (current version doesn't seem to be compatible with SP2, along with many others) and DCS' APM (you have to right click on a process and click "use less memory", there's not just a button do do it with everything)

This leads me to the conclusion that if you're going to use one of the standard 'memory defragmenters', you probably just want to run it periodically when things get "gummed up" rather than running one resident.

12. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I am using HARE from dachshundsoftware and on my P4 3.4 I still see some improvements when using it.

dachshundsoftware makes very nice products and support all os and cpu's

13. Notok

Notok Registered Member

infinity: I've heard mixed things about hare, mostly at opposite extremes (great vs terrible) The price is a little intimidating to me.. application warp worked great and only $15

I guess, to bring this back into perspective with the original post, whether it's worth it to run the program that comes with TuneUp Utils really depends on how it works for you. Whether it's worth the resources it takes is debatable, but I think if you just run it on demand you probably won't go wrong.. at least as long as it doesn't crash your system, lol. I would say it's worth it to run it before playing a game, at the very least :)

14. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Thanks for the input :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.