Trying to setup backup on Windows 8

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ReverseGear, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

I have selected let me choose instead of windows recommended and i got the following menu - i should select drive C or leave it unselected ?

Also any other freeware backup that will show the recovery menu before windows loads [ for windows 8 x64] ?

Attached Files:

• Snap.png
      Snap.png
      File size:
      24.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi Champ :)

As far as I am aware, you can uncheck the boxes under Data files, and simply check drive C to create a complete image of the OS. I assume the Data files are for file/folder backup, whereas the volumes listed will produce a system image of your OS. You could also check the other volumes in order to image those volumes for a complete disk backup/image.

I do not have Win8, I have never used the built in windows backup, but from what I have learned of it, if your backup plan is to image rather than do just file/folder backup, remove the checks under Data, and check the entire volume(s) you wish to back up...at the very least image volume C.

As far as other freeware backup tools, make sure they support Win8 such as terabyte products (edit...sorry champ for any confusion, I implied terabyte mentioned products as being free, they are not, but I meant they fully supported Win8 )...IFW (hot imaging from within windows), IFD, IFL,(cold imaging) or these free ones: Macrium Reflect free (hot imaging and cold imaging from a complete winpe bootCD), or one that I have had excellent results with both cold imaging and restore is Lazesoft Recovery Suite free, that will build a Winpe boot disc for you and offers a very capable suite of recovery tools, including disk imaging and cloning, etc.

Open source freeware such as Clonezilla and PING are very reliable, but may take some time to become acquainted with as they are linux based as well as Redo backup and all offer cold imaging only, but very reliable.

Hope something of this helps, and maybe someone else will be able to better fill you in on the windows backup offered, but for imaging purposes if you use windows backup, i would think selecting the actual volumes is what you want if you desire to image rather than just perform file/folder backup. Also keep in mind that although Windows backup works well for most people, it does have limitations compared to some other solutions I mentioned.

Best wishes to you in getting Win8 backup plan set up. Very wise to do so and imaging presents the best methods for complete backups and restores in comparison to just file/folder backups.

Have a good day :)

Jim

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  3. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Thank you for the very detailed reply
    Terabyte and others are all paid programs
    Macrium doesnt create a recovery menu , i have to make a cd for that which is what i dont want
    Never heard of Lazesoft Recovery Suite before , just saw the site and it has many many features but is it reliable ?
    the only programs i know that makes recovery menu before windows loads are Keriver and Easeus and i had tried easeus i dont like it
    I was using keriver when i was on windows 7 but i dont know if it supports windows 8 or not
    For now i will use the inbuilt windows backup system till i find a suitable replacement

4. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Hi Champ :)

Glad some of the info helped. Indeed Terabyte apps are paid for only, and that is why I edited and clarified that, but they were mentioned due to their support for Win 8. Only Macrium paid version allows for entry of recovery environment in boot menu, although there are ways to accomplish a boot entry using a utility such as EasyBCD which is detailed on this forum in several threads over time how to add boot items using ISO files, etc.

Lazesoft recovery suite free (home edition) certainly in my experience has been reliable for basic imaging and restores, either partition or entire disk including cloning, etc. In addition you have a useful boot media filled with useful tools, but of course being free, their are limitations which the Lazesoft site details in comparison, but it is a very complete suite, and is Win 8 compatible. If nothing else, it has proven to be very useful in my experience and good to have this kind of recovery suite if needed.

Keriver is excellent also, such as Keriver Image but it is not free. Keriver 1 click restore free will image your OS but not an entire disk, and 1 click restore will offer you a built in boot menu for recovery based upon the grub loader I believe, but Keriver has not yet been updated to support Win 8 and I am not so sure it will be, but some were told he would update it at some point.

I think for your needs Champ, the Win backup built in tool is sufficient, although having limitations, it is indeed capable for accomplishing your backup goal(s).

Have a good day Champ.

Jim

5. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Keriver 1-click and every other image app. that uses VSS and was compatible with windows 7 should work without any problem in windows 8.

You could also give a try to RecImg and SlimImage.

Panagiotis

6. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Dont wanna mess with boot files with easybcd - so will stick to windows 8 backup for now until keriver releases a windows 8 build
    I tried lazerous but it needed me to make usb/cd for most of the functions so uninstalled it

@Pandlouk - thanks for the suggestion will try them out
    Edit - dont see slimimage setup anywhere

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.