Trying to retreive Outlook 2003 archived emails from TI 10.0 4871 image

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by fred.albert, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fred.albert

fred.albert Registered Member

I had major problems with my system and had to wipe my hard disk. I had a full backup of the old disk using TI 10. I have been able to resusitate my contacts list which is great, but have not been able to restore archived emails. I see from an earlier thread that this was a problem with an earlier version of TI 10, but does it still mean I can't restore the archive?
    Fred
    TI 10.0 Build 9871
    WinXP Pro SP2, Office 2003

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello fred.albert,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please clarify, are you trying to restore a "My E-mail" backup or to restore only your e-mail from a full drive/partition image?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. fred.albert

I am trying to restore from an image.

Fred

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello fred.albert,

Please notice that when you restore the image as a whole, all your e-mails and other files will be in place. Acronis True Image does not support separate restoring of e-mail from full drive/partition images, only from dedicated e-mail backups.
    You can try restoring only the folder where Outlook 2003 stores e-mails, but we do not guarantee the desired result.
    You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Your e-mails are stored in a file type called Office data file. If you can locate this on your image you can copy the file to your drive and then open the data file.
    Finally you can copy the missing emails. The difficult bit is locating the Outlook data file. I'm guessing that it will be stored on C: ? In other words did you ever move the file to a data partition or just run it as is ?

suggest you use the search option to look for Outlook - you may need to go to tools and "show hidden folders"

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  6. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Fred, mount your image. ....MS Outlook's folder, containing all (.pst) files, is typically found in:

C:\Documents & Settings > [UserName] > Local Settings > Application Data > Microsoft > Outlook

Good luck in your recovery!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Fred is right. Copy the file to a location easy for yo to find such as the Desktop. Then in Outlook, from the Files menu select Import. You want to import the files from the Outlook.pst file you saved on the Desktop.

Importing allows you to keep any mail you have received and any Contacts you have added since you made the backup.

8. fred.albert

I have found the necessary files where you have indicated (thanks!), but they appear corrupted. I have been unable to salvage anything using the Outlook Inbox repair tool or importing the file from Outlook. It finds the email folders but nothing inside those folders. There is no "lost and found" folder as apparently there is sometimes. The file is about 50MBs so it is irritating to seem to be close, but unable to get at the information.

Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.