Trying to Restore from CD

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kim Possible, Mar 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Guest

I am really having a hard time with this one machine. Had an infected hard drive and decided the easiest thing to do was reinstall. Wiped the hard drive using Wipe Pro. Now when I insert the Restore CD that came with the computer, it does not see the CD. If I use my boot disk, I can access the CD drive so I know it is operational. What am I missing?

2. Shunned

Shunned Guest

By Kim:

". Wiped the hard drive using Wipe Pro"

If I recall correctly many restore cd's require that a BACK-UP had to be done at lease once.
    When you wiped your c: drive most likely you distroyed that back-up information so the restore cd has nothing left to restore.
    An if this is correct you will need Windows installed again.

3. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Guest

That is exactly what I am trying to do. Even talked to HP's support. They said I could handle it just like a new hard drive install, but I just can't get it to reinstall windows. Is there a way to get it to launch from the CD although there is not an option within the BIOS?

4. Shunned

Shunned Guest

Its very unlikely that your boot disc will SEE
    Setup.Exe. Also, even if by some chance it does most likely you will still lose many programs such as M$ Office. Fortunately you could find replacements such as Star Office or Open Office....even cd burners freeware...it will take time tho.

5. Kim Possible

Kim Possible Guest

I think this is my problem. This computer did not come with a Windows disk. I only have the restore disk to go from.

6. shunned

shunned Guest

Don't know if this will help

http://www.easydesksoftware.com/recovery.htm

7. Shunned

Shunned Guest

or this:

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

Am just visiting here an will be leaving soon so good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.